ad: Alphaant-1

Ft891 and digital modes. To buy a interface or diy cable?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N8MLP, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You do this when setting up the Signalink also. Signalink walks you through it nicely in their manual if using Windows.
    I much preferred having Signalink's help when setting up sound card. When setting up a computer sound card there can be big differences from machine to machine. After watching support group videos I thought Signalink was the most pain free.

2. KK4RDI

KK4RDI Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been using a cable and $3 sound card for a year, it works perfectly. Real hams build there own cables! kk4rdi.

W9FL likes this.
  3. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I used an old SL+ for years, but once in a while things would get sketchy in the audio input side. Recently it just went kaflooie so I just reverted to using cables and no isolation transformer. I did incorporate what's called single point grounding with some coax shield of the radios and computer. I don't seem to have any ground loops and it works easier and better than trying to set up the SL+. Only thing the SL did for me was provide a audio derived PTT which the ACC2 on the rear of my TS2000 needs. The CAT or VOX PTT do not work off the ACC2 audio input on the TS2000.

Personally I think the interface boxes are way overkill when you can use a couple cables for a few bucks. If' you're worried about ground loops get a couple AF isolation transformers, I think they're available on ebay for a couple bucks, including connectors, RCA types. I have some old RS stereo isolation transformers, but they don't make any difference. With modern rigs, it's usually easy enough to get a PTT whether it's CAT or VOX or hardware.

Then there's the amp interface boxes everyone seems to want to sell between the rig and the amp, they're pretty useless too.

4. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I ordered the eBay cable and a cheap usb sound card.

I played with ti for a few days but never really understood the software... seemed kind of clunky? Put it away and haven't tried again.. :/

5. W7ESR

W7ESR Ham Member QRZ Page

What software were you using?

6. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

WSJT-X

7. WL7PM

WL7PM Ham Member QRZ Page

Which sound card ?
    USB dongle style ?
    What levels did you use for the audio codec ?
    Trying to muddle through this, and could use some clues, or examples of "what not to do "

8. K8JGG

K8JGG Ham Member QRZ Page

I looked on OH8STN and could not find the ebay cable he is using?

9. W7ESR

W7ESR Ham Member QRZ Page

If it’s the singular cable used from radio to sound card, take a look here https://www.ebay.com/itm/164859941482

read the description and contact the seller to confirm it’s exactly what you need. I bought my cable from this seller and 100% satisfied.

10. K8JGG

K8JGG Ham Member QRZ Page

THANKS FOR THE LINK!!!!!

W7ESR likes this.