Ft891 and digital modes. To buy a interface or diy cable?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by N8MLP, Oct 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N8MLP

N8MLP Ham Member QRZ Page

I am very interested in trying out some digital modes. The research I have found seems like I can buy a device or build a cable...

I am ok with the DIY route and honestly want to do that.

I just don’t know about the audio. My Mac and Windows machine both have a single 3.5mm jack.

How do I make it work with one audio port?

2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Nothing wrong with going the DIY route. The FT-891 is one of my dedicated digital mode rigs and have great success using the SignaLink USB interface. The computer is a Dell E6420 laptop with Windows 7 pro.

WD0BCT likes this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll second the use of the Signalink with this rig. Best decision I made.
    The other best decision was using a Windows PC in my shack. Lots more Windows support readily available if you need it.

K3XR likes this.
  4. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The signalink is nice with the FT891 since the output power on the rig is set via a menu item and is not as quick and easy as on other rigs with a power knob or button. The signal link provides a quick and easy way to control the audio drive level to the radio and thus output power without having to dig into Windows device properties or the radio's menus. True, WSJTx has a Power slider, but there are other digi mode software choices that do not and you may wish to run some of them some day. It is also nice to have some level of RF isolation between the radio and the computer. This is a well recognized best practice in the HAM world.