Ft817 and LDG YT100

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by K3WDT, Apr 15, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K3WDT

K3WDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Good afternoon all,

I am looking at purchasing a Ft817. I currently have a FT857 along with a LDG YT100 tuner. The FT817 is not listed as a compatible model for this tuner, however a search for "FT817" within the YT100 manual reveals that the data cable will plug into the 817's jack. Has anyone successfully used these two in combination.

Thanks,
    A fellow ham who doesn't want to buy another tuner!

2. SA4MDN

SA4MDN Ham Member QRZ Page

yt 100 takes power from the 857 cat port, will the 817 do this, I tried my ldg 817 tuner on my 857 on low power while I was waiting for the yt-100 to arrive, it worked but it also popped the 3amp smc fuse for the cat supply voltage on the 857, maybe I should have taken the batteries out the 817 tuner before I tried this, so when my yt-100 did arrive it wouldn't work as there was no voltage coming out the cat port to power it, sorted that fuse out and the yt-100 worked ok. and the ldg 817 tuner survived the ordeal without any problems

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  3. K3WDT

K3WDT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

After further research, the FT817 cannot supply power from the CAT port. Thanks!

4. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

A manual tuner can't hurt your radio !

KA0USE likes this.
  5. KA0USE

KA0USE Ham Member QRZ Page

gotta love those knobs.

6. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

FOR QRP you need to have the most efficient antenna you can manage !
    Needing a tuner, often indicates the antenna may not be very efficient !
    Time to rethink antennas ?
    (some high Q loaded antennas have fair efficiency but you can't QSY very far, using a tuner here so you can QSY is a going to result in big reduction of efficiency. when you get off the antena's resonant freq. )

S57SI likes this.