FT8 Transmit vs receive performance

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by OE4KSF, Aug 7, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. OE4KSF

OE4KSF Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I find that from what I see on pskreporter that I’m reaching far more stations on transmits than I’m able to receive.
    Yes - I do know that there is many receive only stations out there , but anyway.
    I have the same behaviour on all bands, and on all my antennas. (Horizontal loops, vertical, beems)
    And today - look at the images - I’m only using 100W into the antenna.
    The radio is a IC-7851 , and WSJT-X on my Mac.
    No extra sound cards involved - just straight USB from radio to the Mac
    Sound-level from the radio is adjusted to 50dB on the WSJT-X scale (Have tried different levels here and this 50dB seems to do best)
    I live remote, and have no noise to talk about. Tuning the radio just outside the FT8 frequency - no noise at all
    No extra filtering, no NB etc etc - and RF sensibility tuned to max
    And checking radio sensitivity with my R&S - looks as in spec

So - what are your experiences here - is this normal ? Or is there something I should look into ?

Thank you for your input :)

Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 08.57.50.png Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 08.57.27.png

2. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There's your answer! Look at the signal levels on some of those spots. They may be down below -20. While you can make a QSO at -20, if there's even the slightest downward QSB its not going to be solid.

3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I think thats pretty normal. I see a lot of spots for myself when I am only able to make a QSO or 2 on a band. Pretty amazing where you can get your signal to.

4. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree it is not unusual. But one explanation may be that many people are running lower power on FT8. For contacts within 3,000 miles I typically run at 10-20 watts. I will increase to 100-200 if I need to, but almost all of my FT8 contacts are at 50 watts or less, and that includes working Europe, Africa, and South America. And antennas can make a huge difference. I can hear lots of stations, but oftentimes they cannot hear me unless I point my beam right at them.