FT8 - technology or "procedure" ?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AA7EJ, Oct 3, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. AA7EJ

AA7EJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I am NOT FT8 user, not yet, however, I am planning to use it for its original intended purpose - meteor scatter.
    From "reading the mail" I feel most "arguments" are about procedures and majority of users do not really know much about HOW it works - and do not really care.
    MY OPINION.

I have not dissected the software, however, I am puzzled why after writing code to provide for analysis ( guesses (?) ) and error correction the primary "requirement" is to synchronize the TX / RX at 15 seconds intervals.

Again - just an initial , unsubstantiated / unverified , opinion.

OK, call it a rant.

73 Shirley

2. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 was not invented for the purpose of making contacts via meteor scatter. And it would be a terrible mode for that, unless your meteors stay up for at least a couple of minutes at a time (no, meteors don't do that).

FT8 was invented for EME contacts. The moon does stay in relatively the same position for long enough to make an FT8 contact.

For meteor scatter, in order to make a contact in the tiny interval of time when the meteor trail is active, you need a very high speed mode, something like HSCW or FSK441. These are discussed here http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSJT_QST_Dec2001.pdf

Perhaps you're confused by the fact that the same individual popularized both modes, and they're both supported in the WSJT-X software. But they are entirely different and incompatible.

N9DSJ, K5RCD and ND6M like this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Agree, it also seems that the QRO operators that always like to say WSJT is a weak signal mode, not a low power mode, seem to forget (or never knew) that WSJT is designed for EME contacts, not terrestrial contacts.

It just happens to work comparatively well for terrestrial contacts during this solar cycle.

4. AA7EJ

https://video.search.yahoo.com/sear...19d05595463ce46e341b580132698969&action=click

Verry interesting....

did you bother to READ the title of the article ?

5. AG6QR

AG6QR Subscriber QRZ Page

You mean the article I posted? Of course!

I posted an article about modes for meteor scatter. You'll notice the article has info on that subject, and the article has nothing whatsoever to do with FT8, and doesn't mention FT8, since FT8 had not been invented at the time the article was published.

I warned you about the potential for confusion in my original post.

6. AA7EJ

I was correct - it is about procedures, not technology.

Name of the "mode" is irrelevant since I am planning to read whatever bonces back from the meteor - HUBERT sounds OK to me.

73 Shirley

PS
    Thanks for the warning , it has been a pleasure knowing you.

7. W2VW

W2VW Ham Member QRZ Page

Just an observation. The OP should be well served by an on the air exchange with signal report and grid exchange.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

+1 for the ignore list?