FT8 Software Timings

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by N4DCT, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. N4DCT

N4DCT Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there a way to reset the timer counter in the bottom of the software? It is starting the count in the middle of the transmission cycle and then displays the decode too late for me to jump in the next cycle because it is already mid-cycle (by about 5 seconds).

Any ideas?

2. K5TEE

K5TEE Ham Member QRZ Page

Adjust the clock of your computer. The program works off of the computer clock.

Tom
    K5TEE

NS8N likes this.
  3. N4DCT

Ok now I'm really confused, sometimes it is in sync though?

4. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

I agree with K5TEE.

To make the determination, set your receiver and WSJT-X so that the waterfall shows the upper half of the FT8 operating area, and the lower half of JT65 operating area. On 40 meters, that would be at about 7075 kHz, USB, or about 14.075 MHz on 20 meters. Use the waterfall signals to determine if your computer time is properly synchronized with the transmission sequences you are seeing on FT8 and JT65. JT65 sequences start at the top of every minute. FT8 sequences start every 15 seconds.

If it is not, then ....

5. N4DCT

Ok thanks for that info, I'll take a look at it tonight.

6. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

What programs do you have running in "the background"?

7. N4DCT

I reset the clock as suggested and problem solved, just made two contacts.

8. W4KJG

W4KJG Subscriber QRZ Page

For me, this is especially important when running FT8 when trying to answer a CQ in the immediate upcoming ODD/EVEN sequence with much of anything else running in the background.

I have found it somewhat challenging to get an answer from a CQ while transmitting into the very next FT8 sequence when running too many Windows 10 applications . This happens particularly when using a main-line browser, simultaneously running programs like SDR-Console, PSK-Reporter, etc. At the same time, I'm obviously running WSJT-X and a few other programs.

In most cases, I usually have near ZERO to less than a half-second to activated transmit in the next appropriate sequence because I'm not getting a fully demodulated listing of received signals. My Pin Ball Wizard button pushing isn't what it was in the 1960s.

It really depends on which shack setup I'm using. But, in nearly all cases, I have a number Windows programs running on a reasonably fast dual-processor Windows 10 system. I also operate a similar station, running Linux Zorin on a much older computer. The results are somewhat similar ....

Disabling all non-necessary Windows programs can give me nearly a second to answer a CQ in FT8 using Window 10. I'm not quite as fortunate when using Linux. I have found FT8 quite fun and usable by setting up transmit to the next Odd/Even sequence that is the odd/even opposite of the original CQ.

Ken
    K8KJG

ND6M likes this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That's good...but PC clocks being what they are--they drift--it's a pain to keep updating. Get Dimension 4. It's a little freeware app that will keep your time updated, syncing every 20 minutes or so.

N4DCT likes this.
  10. N4DCT

Yeah I downloaded one, different one. I'd tell you the name but it is on my other machine.