FT8 rubbish!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0RLR, Jun 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too! I left out the hashtag. :D
    I think the abundance of all mode transceivers has spoiled us. A single mode rig would have to be greatly reduced in price to make it worthwhile.....and even then single mode rigs would not be desirable to many. CW only QRP rigs are used by quite a few but not everyone's cup of tea.

The problem with digital modes is the computer and software required in addition to the radio. Nice to be able to copy with low power and high noise...but if the computer interface goes haywire there is no copy!

PU2OZT likes this.
  2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

...but even with a single band rig, the bulk of the design and build costs would remain. It would be comparatively inexpensive to add modes and bands to such a platform. :(

KA2FIR likes this.
  3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

absurd comparisons are….

I once traveled on the QE2. Hardly any nexus to building a radio (or car, cruise ship, etc…)

4. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just found this thread.

From the Ops position, and back at ya, I had a conversation with a CW guy, always CW and was astonished he said he didn't own a microphone.

So should we do away with "Idiot" CW mode ?

5. M0AGP

M0AGP Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually I think it’s really a shame about mixed mode DXCC. Totally unfair when one mode has a major SNR advantage over the other. Yep, they should never have allowed CW to be part of mixed mode DXCC…

NG1H, KP4SX and N3RYB like this.
  6. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Right??!? These “CW” ops have like a 10dB advantage over SSB ops! Makes a mockery of DXCC. FOR SHAME.

M0AGP likes this.
  7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

DXCC by all rights should be AM ONLY. Those duck quack voices all have an advantage and really make light of how hard DXCC via AM is.

Harumph

Dave
    W7UUU

M0AGP, PU2OZT, KV6O and 2 others like this.
  8. KV6O

KV6O Ham Member QRZ Page

Tin cans and string or nuthin. Using RF is a mockery! Wait…

W7UUU, N3RYB and WD4ELG like this.
  9. N3RYB

N3RYB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Finally a voice of clarity :)

WD4ELG, KV6O and W7UUU like this.
  10. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

An excellent pun, OM!

Voice of clarity = Dave's comment
    Voice of clarity = AM over quack-quack SSB

N3RYB likes this.