ad: AlphaRF-1

FT8 rubbish!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0RLR, Jun 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not? How would the card checker know what to check for validity? And if it was ever uploaded to LoTW, what then? Just trying to understand your thoughts here, Sir.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

Couldn't get much more Oceana than a buoy bobbing about in the middle of the Pacific Ocean.

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

And don't it look pretty hanging up on your wall?
    Looks like you really accomplished something...and it's always there to remind you.

4. KD4XR

KD4XR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You may not like or agree with the FT8 mode but at least FT8 operators are buying equipment which keeps resellers and manufactures in business.

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

That implies there is:
    1. People who use FT8 exclusively, and
    2. That such ops are the only ones buying equipment.

if true (which is a very dubious set of assumptions), that’s not much of a market.

KA2FIR and PU2OZT like this.
  6. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

As to market, radio-amateurs should be ashamed not being able to design sturdy and reliable single-mode transceivers.
    Micro-modules of their own dedicated to FT8 should wisely be widely available.
    What is true is that R-As not knowing which mode they like, they're offered, for many decades now (since soundcards are inside), all-inclusive candy-screen rigs.
    Tad sad!

Oliver

WN1MB likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Qrp-labs produced a run of 400 some QRP/FT8 transceiver kits and they sold out in 14 minutes.
    https://qrp-labs.com/qdx.html
    I'm hoping to get in on the next batch. Hans makes great stuff.

W0AQ, WN1MB and PU2OZT like this.
  8. KF4ZGZ

KF4ZGZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Using your l0gic ......
    Automobile drivers should be ashamed not being able to scratch build a working, reliable automobile of their own to drive.
    ( before you ask .... Yes, I can )

9. PU2OZT

PU2OZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Ohhh my bad, I was thinking "to ask for" a design, or, to express a will of a modular station, in the shape of a rack, why not.
    Station and its modules, that we would design, knowing which modes we wanted.
    More W than QRP, as to FT8 and others.
    A double-watch or multiple watch station.
    Makes sense? (guess not, never operated digital, but buying a $500 rig only to be able to try digital modes upsets me)

Oliver

10. N7WR

N7WR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

My 7 BDXCC was all achieved on SSB and the original digital mode CW. For many of those contacts I had to strain to hear the other station--but I HEARD them. While I have nothing against those who work FT 8, even those who achieve DXCC with it, there is nothing about computer to computer over the air contacts where the operator does not hear the other station that attracts me. IMO those who work only FT 8 are missing a lot and never really develop the operator/listening skills that make hearing weak, rare stations so satisfying. But whatever floats your boat.

KA2FIR, WN1MB and PU2OZT like this.