FT8 rubbish!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0RLR, Jun 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

I’ve had stations respond to my CQ several minutes after I stopped transmitting, somehow tracking me on a very busy band.

I’ve assumed these were stations that had hacked the code or had software that allowed them to keep track of other stations and their position on the waterfall, but not sophisticated enough to realize I had taken a break.

So now I see these were probably bots.

2. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is just not true. Read up on how Fox and Hound works. The DX can put your call on a list. Later, when they reply (to you), your software (running in Fox/Hound mode) will enable transmit in response to the DX.

WN1MB likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Could be bots. Could be people calling you for several minutes that you weren't copying before.

AJ4WC likes this.
  4. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

PSKReport and (on 6m) DXMaps enables stations to find you even if you haven't noticed them before they call you. Or, maybe they just plain see your call and it takes them a while to look you up on QRZ and decide you're on the need list for (say) WAS.

Bots do not seek out QSOs that I know of; they don't work that way.

Besides, there are lots of marginal paths (6m particularly) where stations I want are in-and-out. I can refrain from calling or I can call and hope for a brief moment where we have mutual propagation long enough to make a QSO. I am very sure I have "come out of nowhere" for a station many a time when employing such a strategy.

ND6M and AJ4WC like this.
  5. DK7OB

DK7OB Ham Member QRZ Page

I had this happen to me too. Unfortunately, I have no screen shots, so I don't remember the exact situation, but I think it was always in F/H mode. I had disabled the TX because the DX station stopped coming back to me but suddenly after several minutes it came back again and the QSO was completed.

I think a developer could clarify this, or someone could examine the code, it's open source after all.

6. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

I was going to write that someone will come along and tell you it never happened but they already did that - denial must be a great place to live. Transparent denial not so much.

7. E73Y

E73Y Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 DXpedition Mode User Guide by K1JT

Detailed Instructions for Hounds point 12:
    "If you have stopped calling Fox because you will be leaving the rig unattended, you should quit WSJT-X or disable Hound mode in order to avoid the possibility of unwanted transmissions."

73's Boris E73Y

KQ0J likes this.
  8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Crazy! I stand corrected - I rarely use Hound mode. My apologies.

I try to remember to disable transmit if I leave the room - always put the amp in standby etc. after coming back to a stuck key one time heating the rig up.

9. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It can be sad when people comment on things which are out of their element.

10. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

...though sometimes it can be hilarious.

W2VW likes this.