FT8 rubbish!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0RLR, Jun 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Remember, the "robot" modes were not invented, supported, or desired by the WSJT-X team. They could have implemented robot modes themselves. They did not and it isn't an accident that they did not.

The main original robot was, in fact, invented in an attempt to discredit FT8. Don't be trolled. As far as I can make out 'robot' use is negligible in any event.

It figures in a jim dandy way in these kind of flame wars. Almost as if it was the main intent. . .

ND6M and W0AQ like this.
  2. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

The past few days 17 meters FT-8 has been open all over the world. Guess I'll go do some more "trash picking".

W0AQ and AC3GO like this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah, but haven't you heard? THE BANDS ARE DEAD!

K3XR likes this.
  4. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Is that an opinion or can you show intent to discredit? Also, how did you discern robot mode use is negligible? It sounds like that is your opinion too.

The point being we all have opinions but you discredit other opinions by making unfounded claims - doesn’t pass the laugh test.

W7UUU and WN1MB like this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

The author (SV5DKL) of the first (?) bot program clearly stated his reason for writing the program. Wo7R is correct

W2VW and DK7OB like this.
  6. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was trying to work VP8PJ Fox and Hound last February. After a while, my transmissions timed out, and I let it rest and went out for a smoke. When I returned, I saw my completed QSO on the screen.

WN1MB likes this.
  7. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

which is why it seems pointless to me.

No different than auto-generated text messaging on our phones

US7IGN likes this.
  8. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" I was trying to work VP8PJ Fox and Hound last February. After a while, my transmissions timed out, and I let it rest and went out for a smoke. When I returned, I saw my completed QSO on the screen. "

Nice story Bro.....

If your transmissions timed out, and you left the room , the program would have had no way to enable transmit and complete the QSO for you.

You went out for a smoke - what were you smoking ????

KN4LGM, W2VW, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

From time to time I see something on the Zed that gives me a good laugh. This was one of those times. :D

10. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

This all is well-documented over on eham. SV5DKL is the original author of this stuff and he's on record with his dislike. In fact, he did so here in QRZ in a post I will quote. He said:

https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/the-mother-of-all-ft8-threads.575999/page-7 will show this quote. He is already wrong about the idea that his robot will discredit FT8. It is obviously what he hoped. He said so.

Robot operation is not hard to detect. There is a state machine which is obvious if you are, like me, an experienced computer programmer.

Real people actually do things. They unexpectedly change frequency offset. They sometimes go "out of sequence". They resume QSOs that were interrupted. Lots of things if you watch. Robots don't do those things. Their behavior changes are limited by a limited state machine. The unexpected behaviors I discuss are commonplace among human operators.

The WSJT-X team, at least at one time, collected a list of these robots. So, I am not the only one that thinks they can figure this out. That list is not terribly long.

In principle, the ARRL recently adopted a rule which would invalidate QSOs made with this robot. Whether they enforce it is an open question.

But, the larger point still stands: Love FT8, hate FT8, I don't care.

The origin of fully automated QSOs should not be a matter of dispute. Don't be trolled by a hater.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    W2VW likes this.