FT8 rubbish!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0RLR, Jun 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's kinda funny when you think about it - in a very technical sense, it actually IS a "phone award" - you're using Single Sideband mode and sending audio over SSB but it's just tones instead of voices - but it's still very much "phone" in terms of the actual mode of the technology :)

Dave
    W7UUU

AJ4WC and K1VSK like this.
  2. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

So? Don’t operate that mode. Problem solved.

Oh, wait. Others are having fun with Amateur Radio in a mode you don’t care for? Who cares?

But I have some clouds overhead. Want to go out, shake your fist, and yell at them?

3. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

And it filters out the phone operators named Robert who think the rest of us don’t know how to spell Bob phonetically.

4. KD8MJR

KD8MJR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not a fan of FT8, I have used it and find it to be rather boring and not very engaging.
    The one good thing about FT8 is that it at least gives new hams something to work with and that in turn helps equipment manufacturers and sellers.

If I had just been licensed in 2019 I think I would have called it quits by now if phone and CW was my only options. I mean honestly a new Ham is most likely using 100 watts and a dipole or vertical antenna and with that equipment and these band conditions there would be very few distant contacts to be had on phone only and new Hams would not stand a chance at 25 WPM CW in these band conditions. I think about the only effect it has had on Awards is that a Digital DXCC is not really much of an accomplishment anymore, other than that let those who want to use it have their fun.

5. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There goes the "Century C" of DXCC, eh?

Please don't give the ARRL CAC any ideas, okay? The Zed is still reeling over the FD 1D <-> 1D "temporary" rules change.

6. WN1MB

WN1MB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That reminds me of a B.B. King joke that I shouldn't share here...

7. WO7R

WO7R XML Subscriber QRZ Page

SV5DKL hates FT8. He created the fully automated version in an attempt to discredit it.

Hate FT8, love FT8, don't care about FT8, but don't be trolled by this one.

The creators of WSJT-X have most deliberately left that kind of automation out of FT8. It's not an accident or oversight. If you operate the software normally (and just about everyone does), you will, at minimum, have to initiate each QSO in some manner -- either by double clicking on the DX call or re-enabling the transmit function.

If you walk way from it to go to the restroom, say, the most that will happen (and not always even that) is that you'll finish the current QSO. Things just aren't as automated as they look. If that is still too much for you, I won't trouble to dispute that. I'm not asking you to like the mode. But I am asking you to understand the degree of actual automation that exists. Just about nobody runs that automation. It's easy to tell when it is active and when it isn't.

Let's not get all hot and bothered about what the trolls are up to when it does not represent the overwhelming practice of FT8 on the bands.

AD7DB, W0AQ, KP4SX and 1 other person like this.
  8. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

Getting any award for what other hams think is a mistake. Most hams don't care. You should only get an award if you think it is fun.
    I recall telling some older hams as a teenager that I already had my DXCC in the early 1980s.
    Someone just had to point out that WAS was harder from Hawaii. I had that too! I didn't mention that I did it running a Heathkit DX-20 transmitter and a straight key.

This is the 12th year they have been running the 13 colonies Special Event
    http://www.13colonies.us/

Statistically, digital has the fewest awards given out, based on the current DXCC standings. 63 pages for phone, 43 pages for CW, and just 23 pages for digital.

Zak W1VT

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Who is B O B ? I wonder if the other side looks like a tatoo of Grizzly Adams?

WN1MB likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

By that logic, anyone who thinks the Olympics are fun should get a gold medal????

Awards were supposed to be earned in recognition of achievement, the more difficult being the most revered. As it relates to ham radio, are we bestowing awards now based on who is having the most fun?

K8PG likes this.