FT8 rubbish!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by 2E0RLR, Jun 24, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E0RLR

2E0RLR Ham Member QRZ Page

Automated digital rubbish! the worst thing to happen to ham radio in decades!!!!

Makes a mockery of the DXCC awards!!!!

I spent 2 years getting my DXCC for 40m phone at the bottom of the solar cycle on 50 watts, these idiots do it in a fortnight PATHETIC!

Spent an hour on 6m this morning got 2 stations the band was open but 99% were on FT8 whining away making meaningless fake contacts, the phone part of the band is a wasteland. Stop this automated rubbish NOW!!!!
    There I had my say good day to you all and see you on the bands if there's any spectrum left after this FT8 crap.
    2E0RLR
    Rod

KN4EQG, KM4KBY, N3AB and 12 others like this.
  2. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Hey!
    Rod!
    Don't be shy; tell us how you really feel!

KC3RN, EI2JC, KF5RRF and 8 others like this.
  3. N1LOU

N1LOU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I am not sure what you are upset about. FT8 uses very little bandwidth, so it shouldn't interfere with you phone operations. Just because someone makes a DXCC award, it doesn't diminish your accomplishment. Why are you so bitter? If its not for you then let it be. To me FT8 is not much different than making phone contacts on a contest weekend. No real information is exchanged in a contest other than location and signal strength for the most part. How is FT8 different?

And I believe the cellular/mobile telephone has done much more damage to ham radio than FT8. At least on FT8, the operator is still using HF. Check out Zello sometime if you really want your head to explode...calling CQ into a mobile phone? Wow. For that matter, DMR is pretty much the same way. At least with FT8, you still use an HF rig, you still need to understand antenna theory and station grounding and basics like that

W0AQ, N5AF and AE1N like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

How do you get a DXCC Phone award with FT8?

ND6M likes this.
  5. 2E0RLR

I dont use FT8 I use phone .. you know using a microphone

6. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You said people (not you obviously) were doing it (40m DXCC Phone) with FT8?

7. W0XA

W0XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Digital modes have brought an influx of radio amateurs into the hobby.
    And that's the great thing about amateur radio... the many directions folks can go with it.
    Digital DXCC has nothing to do with phone DXCC.
    We all know it is much easier.
    And congrats on your 40 meter phone DXCC.

AE1N and M0KBO like this.
  8. W0XA

W0XA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh and calling FT8 folks idiots on your QRZ page..... hmmmm

W0AQ and PU2OZT like this.
  9. 2E0RLR

FT8 requires no expertise in deciphering weak signals with your brain, the damn computer does it for you, its about as interesting as watching paint dry!

K6ARW, PU2OZT and K8PG like this.
  10. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Spent an hour on 6m this morning got 2 stations the band was open but 99% were on FT8 whining away making meaningless fake contacts, the phone part of the band is a wasteland. Stop this automated rubbish NOW!!!!"

There, there. It'll be alright. Have a beer and relax. :)
    You could always try FT4 instead.

KI5AAI, KC9UIL, W0AQ and 9 others like this.