FT8 RRR versus RR73 in a dispute with 3DA0AO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by M0OXD, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
  1. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

coffeespit.gif

M0OXD and W4IOA like this.
  2. K2NCC

K2NCC Ham Member QRZ Page

I had the an issue with a guy in North Dakota that insisted "RRR" was necessary. And wouldn't log them if they didn't have that part of the QSO.

I tried to convince him otherwise. I even wrote Joe K1JT and gave a sample of several that didn't have RRR.
    This was Joe's reply:
    "Your QSOs are certainly valid. In each one, the final message you received makes it clear that your QSO partner was satisfied with all he received. No need to be overly pedantic about receiving exactly a message containing 'RRR'."

But even that didn't convince the ND guy.

To me, here's the perfect JT/FT QSO.
    perfectJTqso.jpg
    Wrap up 73 and RR in one TX and skip the final 73.
    We both got a signal report, good enough for the log if he doesn't repeat anything.

73 de Frank W4RAV (ex-K2NCC)

M0OXD likes this.
  3. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For me, I manually log FT8 contacts. I do not have automatic logging set up - by choice. I want to feel like I'm "working a mode" like any other, where I'm fully in control of what happens. I manually enter the station's call sign, band, and both signal reports - typing it all in to my N3FJP software just as I would for SSB, CW, RTTY, PSK31, or any other mode.

If the other guy is just set up for automatic logging only when RRR is sent or whatever other "final 73" sequence and I don't get in his log, so be it.

But for my end of it, I absolutely know when I've had a contact and when I haven't. I still use the "computer between my ears" to determine that.

Dave
    W7UUU

M0OXD, W4IOA, N3AB and 1 other person like this.
  4. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Just because I'm a wise guy, I would write back and say you did not receive his previous email because he ended it with 73 instead of Best Regards. This email exchange confirms the contact was made and the Op just didn't like the exchange. Whatever....walk it off and use it as an example of what NOT to do.

[​IMG]

M0OXD likes this.
  5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Ham Member QRZ Page

Now I have great fears about FT8!!!! I can just see me FINALLY Working one of my last 3 (BS7H, P5 or SV/A) on FT8 for a ATNO and not getting the 73!!!! So I am not in the log!! Generally DXpeditions are more forgiving! With a PHONE or CW QSO, all I need is for him to get my CALLSIGN, and get a 5NN TU back from me! No fancy handshaking. I log all calls that I get a report from. Haven't figured out how to upload them to LOTW yet. That is Rocket Science!

M0OXD likes this.
  6. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

What if you send the "599 TU" and you're not sure if he receives it because QSB hits, he fades out and you're not sure if he sent "TU QRZ?" or requested a repeat?

The same problems apply to literally any mode in ham radio. Even on phone, did you get a "QSL 73 QRZ?" or did he say "please repeat" then move on to another station when you didn't respond?

7. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

When in doubt, log the contact if you believe you completed it. You'll either get a confirmation or not. But if you don't log it, you are guaranteed you won't :)

Dave
    W7UUU

M0OXD and KK5JY like this.
  8. KA2IRQ

KA2IRQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Absolutely- standard operating procedure. But my point is you can always come up with a scenario where you're not sure if the other guy got your last transmission.

9. N3AB

N3AB Subscriber QRZ Page

Now we have two computers mad at each other over a "contact".

Sooner or later, one computer is going to kick the other computer in the hard drive.

Life is too short. I'm fishing, and I don't have to stamp "RR73" on any fish I catch.

M0OXD likes this.
  10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

My scenario is a simple one: if it's not confirmed in LoTW, it never happened.

A ragchew may 'stands' on its own, no confirmation required. An FT8 contact is worthless if not confirmed.

M0OXD and W4POT like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.