FT8 RRR versus RR73 in a dispute with 3DA0AO

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by M0OXD, Sep 30, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
  1. M0OXD

M0OXD Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks, I agree and yes, it's his decision to include or not my callsign in the log. I am just trying to learn from this for future reference, as I really did think this was a complete and legitimate QSO so reading Pista's email about his preference to see RR73 instead of RRR threw me off.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  2. M0OXD

M0OXD Ham Member QRZ Page

I am genuinely trying to learn from this. The dx-er made up his mind about it, but left me questioning my knowledge of operating FT8.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

AFAIK, the RR73 (or just 73) triggers automatic logging with the person who sends it. It does nothing to the other guy's log no matter whether or not he rcvd or didn't rcv it.

Until both parties send 73 they aren't in each other's log automatically. Doesn't mean they have to copy each other although that helps if a repeat is required ! :)

KA0HCP likes this.
  4. K4AGO

K4AGO Ham Member QRZ Page

It's the shotgun approach to a valid QSO.
    John

5. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm not disagreeing with that, but it doesn't make a lot of sense for the automation to work like that, since RR73 is basically just a combined message of RRR and 73. So I don't see why "73" would trigger a remote auto-log, but "RR73" would not?

Full disclosure -- I wired around this in my own automation by using "R" messages as the log trigger. Requiring a 73 seems unnecessary.

6. KK5JY

Apparently. :oops:

"No, dangit, I SAID LOG MY QSO, OM!!!" :mad:

;)

K4AGO likes this.
  7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

73, RR73, 73 BOB, 73 CQ DX all trigger your own logging. I don't think receiving any of those triggers the other guy's log.

8. KK5JY

So you're saying that sending any of those things causes the sending station to auto-log, but receiving those does not?

Okay, that makes more sense (if I'm understanding correctly).

9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

This must be a WSJT-X issue only because JTDX handles it just fine. By the way, the first JTDX RC with FT4 is out, only to testers right now, and it works fine.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Lots of little details to learn. Wait until you try F&H mode.;)

Ask away, we are all learning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.