ad: M2Ant-1

FT8 Reception Reports

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AC1LL, Jun 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
ad: l-gcopper
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC1LL

AC1LL XML Subscriber QRZ Page

New to ham radio. Playing around a bit with FT8. My experience is that I am receiving signals generally at fairly high positive numbers +13, +22, etc. When I do make a QSO it is always much lower, -20 to -6 generally. I've looked at pskreporter and see that very often the stations that I am seeing are not seeing me. I have successfully made some relatively long distance QSOs, but wondering if my antenna is the issue

2. W2SGM

W2SGM XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Most likely antenna-related, yes. It doesn’t sound like a radio configuration problem, if that’s what you’re wondering about.

What’s your antenna system like?

N3RYB likes this.
  3. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Your reliance on PSKreporter is the issue.

You know how many stations report? Thousands. When I looked at PSK reporter there were times I couldn't see myself on there either. I don't bother anymore and have turned off reporting in my software.

If you're making contacts regularly, that's all the proof you need.

The last post you did on this topic I made a suggestion about how you can listen to yourself online and gauge your signal strength based on band and conditions at that time. Did you try that?

4. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

One thing to consider is that the signal numbers reported by WSJT-x are signal-to-noise ratio. It's quite possible that you have a low local noise level while the other station has a high local noise level. That will cause him to report a lower S/N than you do for the same actual signal strength. It's not always an indication that you have a weak signal.

I normally have a fairly low local noise level so I sometimes use PSKreporter to check to see what other stations are hearing on 6M. Sometimes I find that a station doesn't answer my CQ and he isn't hearing any stations (that I know are active) in my area - again likely due to his noise level. I mostly use PSKreporter to give me a visual indication of what my station is hearing over a period of time. The PSKreporter map locates stations based on their address of record rather than just the grid square so you can actually see what state they are in and give you an accurate bearing to point your antenna.