FT8 reception - on a dummy load

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KC8QVO, Nov 18, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KC8QVO

KC8QVO Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm impressed.

I am trying to set up a voice keyer so I hooked a dummy load to my radio. Come to find out - FT8 is still decoding signals. Most notably - from North Carolina and I'm in Ohio. See attached picture.

Attached Files:

2. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

My radio can decode FT8 with just a short (1ft) coax jumper and tuner attached when I'm changing antennas.

WD4ELG likes this.
  3. KD0KZE

KD0KZE Ham Member QRZ Page

If my shack weren't in the basement, I'd try (RX only of course) barefoot SO-239 on the rig. Maybe there's a Zen koan here. "What is the sound of no antenna?" Or "If a signal is sent and nobody else has an antenna, does it make a noise?" :)

73, KD0KZE / Paul

4. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Heh. When I was building my PSK-20, I had it hooked to a Cantenna (overkill, right) so I could look at the output on a scope. Had the software running on the PC, and it was decoding several stations, apparently using the scope probe lead as the antenna.

5. N2SUB

N2SUB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That happened to my Dad....he actually made an FT8 contact not realizing he was attached to a dummy load. FLA -> SC He still laughs about that.

KC8QVO likes this.
  6. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Great news! No bothersome antennas needed. Now, if we could just get rid of the expensive radio and the license test...:D

7. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

It's not that FT8 is so good, its all your dummy loads that are so bad ;-)

Frank

AI3V likes this.
  8. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Unplugged the rig once during a storm, the 3’ coax jumper picked up a bunch of FT8 signals laying on the desk.

WD4ELG likes this.
  9. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What were the FT8 signals doing laying on your desk? :eek:
    :p

KF5FEI likes this.
  10. VE2GCE

VE2GCE Ham Member QRZ Page

I am also surprised to see readable FT8 signals from my resistive dummy load.
    Great news for the guys under HOA restrictions.

This reminds of the QSO lightbulb guys who have contests via light bulb antennas.

https://qrper.com/2018/11/the-2019-lightbulb-qso-party/

I remember once when I was testing a rig with light bulb dummy load and was surprised to hear someone reply back to my 'Testing 1 .. 2 .. 3' emissions.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2019