FT8 Power, how much ????

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K4EM, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" So even though some here consider kiloWatt QRO perfectly consistent with operating a weak signal mode and CFR 97.313(a), "

Weak siqnal mode does NOT mean Low Power mode. It means that the program and mode are capable of being decoded and low
    thresholds. Did you know that these programs were initially for Moonbounce where stations regularly run 1 Kw ?

Using enough power to make and maintain a contact is variable. If you are running 500W and all the stations you QSO with are giving
    you +20 signal reports then yes, crank it back. If a station responds to your call with a -23 then you are wise if you double your power or more
    to complete the contact given QSB, QRM, QRN etc. If you are calling a DX station on a clear frequency and he is not answering you on 40w
    then double the power and call again.

If you have fun running QRP and that's a challenge for you then have fun !

W2VW and WD4ELG like this.
  2. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

^^^^^^^^^^ For the one thousandth time (and hopefully last time) ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I am copying what Joel said, and I will paste it as a response if anybody in the future asks this question again and complains about not making Honor Roll because "somebody else is using too much power and it's not fair" or "I can't get through because somebody else has an amplifier and a stronger signal"

Oh, and get off my lawn.

M6WGH and KQ0J like this.
  3. KK4YDR

KK4YDR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

So after reading this thread, it seems at least, that I should load up the Al-80B to around 500 watts and let FT8 rip and tear through my Steppir Big IR.

I am about to get started in FT8 so hey why not throw some juice behind it. I know I gotta really clean up those side bands as well as audio quality or else its splatter fest.

However, what really peaks my interest is using my 705 @ 10w in the field on my Buddistick Vertical. Once I figure it out at the QTH I will head out and QRP it.

N3RYB and WD4ELG like this.
  4. AG5CK

AG5CK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thats a good way to keep your 3-500 from getting gassy. It's good for them to make the anode blush.

I logged a lot of new places exercising a 8877 on 20 meters a couple of weeks ago. I ran the thing at legal limit for at least 3 hours.

5. KK4YDR

Now if I can figure out how to actually log FT8 contacts... they seem to happen so fast

6. AG5CK

I've been manually logging them through the qrz logbook. It's not too hard once you get the rhythm down. You can copy and paste callsigns from WSJT-X. FT4 will really keep you on your toes.

7. KK4YDR

I figured out about 1 hour ago using n3fjp logging software I purchased a few years back.

FT8 is really time consuming but kind of fun. Just tonight, my first real night of FT8, using JTDX software, IC705 --> thru Xiegu XPA125b driving ---->AL80B @ around 500 watts I have worked these:

FT8 First night .png

Last edited: Sep 4, 2021
    N3RYB likes this.
  8. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Big reason I quit using FT8 was the big guns. One is supposed to use the least power required yet you have the clowns who run max power and 120' towers. They just trash everyone else and brag about it.
    Contesting mentality is just ridiculous.
    This maybe dependent on where you live but here in the northeast I am surrounded by power bullies. Sorry but It's a lot more fun to make contacts at 5 watts and a wire.

9. AG5CK

If I can't make the contact with 5 watts and am getting -20 reports at 1500 watts I'm going to use 1500. Weak signal is weak signal at any power level.

Just because they're running excessive power for making a contact with you doesn't mean anything. Do you actually know what they're hearing (seeing) and where they're trying to reach?

WD4ELG likes this.
  10. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

Not going to try and argue with that. It's better as an example.