ad: k1jek

FT8 Power, how much ????

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K4EM, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. G4LHT

G4LHT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I did some tests, marginal differences using 400 watts to 100 watts / PSK Reporter
    is your friend you can see almost instantly where your reaching, tried four antennas LW - vertical - Cobweb - Dipole eventually found 30 watts to be optimal.

2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Optimal for what? Distance, S/N, ease of operation? I sometimes have to use 700W to reach SA, seems like they have a lot of noise down there.

W9FL and AA4PB like this.
  3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I thought I would experiment a few days and use my FT-857D on FT-8 instead of the KX2 and running 20 watts instead of 5 watts into a compromise antenna (end fed wire on my third floor balcony). Anecdotally it doesn't seem to make that much of a difference. Working about the same, my reports received are only marginally better. Of course it is really hard to be scientific unless I switched over to KX2 and worked the guy again on 5 watts, and I doubt they would like that.

4. AA4PB

AA4PB Ham Member QRZ Page

My experience on 6M FT8 is totally different. I went through the WSJT log and looked at 100 contacts where I used 75W. In the majority of cases the report I received was 6dB below the report that I sent. I soon learned that if a station calling CQ was below -17dB then there was no point in me calling him. I then purchased an amp and started running 300W. Since then, on average, the sent and received reports are pretty equal. The added power did make a difference that I could easily see. One of two things must be true, either most stations are running 300W or most stations have a higher local noise level than I do (quite possible). Either way, I've made a bunch of contacts at 300W that I would have never made at 75W.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't discount people using good high antennas on 6M, I think there are a fair amount of them out there. Even with a 300W amp with a simple dipole I don't think would be very effective. I've also notice that 6M likes more power, with 100W and an HDB antenna at about 50' I can hear more than I can work and I'm convinced it's their superior antenna.

6. AK3B

AK3B Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most of the time 30-50.

7. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I generally run about 75 - 85 watts. I keep it down a little so as not to abuse the finals...though it's not as stressful at a good RTTY QSO IMHO.

FT8 is generally acknowledged (and offered by its author, Joe Taylor) as a WEAK SIGNAL, not LOW POWER mode. The important thing? However much power you run, keep your signal clean. Do that by running your rig at full power and adjusting output power with the audio level. If you do that, you should get a good signal with little ALC action. :)

8. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

ON Edit...another Zombie attack... ;)

[​IMG]

KP4SX likes this.
  9. W4HWD

W4HWD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

“How much power do you use on FT8?”

This much:

CFD7B4E7-955B-4C36-A8E6-1C21DFC2A8A7.gif

:)

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
    K2TY, N3RYB and AJ4WC like this.
  10. AF4MT

AF4MT Ham Member QRZ Page

Check this out! https://a400e70e-fd7d-48ec-868b-77c...d/fa387b_5e238ebccc2941b1a2004fe49664b80e.pdf

W4LJ likes this.