FT8 Power, how much ????

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K4EM, Nov 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

This is likely why the 25-35W power out limit was 'decided' upon. This is max power (full duty cycle) for most barefoot transceivers.

An easy way to get the masses to not only protect their transceivers, but keep their signal as clean as possible, instead of boring them to death with the technical reasons most won't understand anyways. They have a hamradio ticket, that's all that matters to them. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2017
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

The difference between 30 to 50W is not that big. It's not linear, dB applies here. This is why QRP, and even milli/microwatting operations are possible, against all 'linear' odds. ;)

And never ever discount 'old sol', aka propagation.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2017
  3. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

EGAD, it's called WEAK SIGNAL JT mode!
    From the WJST documentation:
    upload_2017-11-12_14-18-46.png Remember that JT4, JT9, J65, and WSPR generally do not require high power. Under most HF propagation conditions, QRP is the norm.

upload_2017-11-12_14-19-28.png Consider reducing power if your QSO partner reports your signal above -5 dB. The WSJT modes are supposed to be weak signal modes!

LAYNE AE1N

K4AGO likes this.
  4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Remember what that great statesman, Abraham Lincoln said: Don't believe everything you read on the internet.

DL6BCX and VE6NS like this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

On 11 meters or watt ?

6. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are myths and legends that are pretty widespread that you must not use high power. All pish posh - they started with the fact that you can effectively use low power a lot of the time. And thats fine, if I can make a contact with 10 Watts why bother with more. But I find that with FT8 more than JT65 / JT9 I need higher power to make contacts. Most of the time these days I end up running 100 -200 W output to be able to contact the DX stations I want. For USA stations I use about 40W unless I am getting poor signal reports. As has been stated many times - if strong stations are bothering you to the point of you being unable to make contacts, you need better operating technique, a better rig or both rather than berating others for perfectly legal and ethical operation. And of course - 'weak signal ' speaks about the ability to receive, not the transmit power required to make contact with those weak signals.

N4UP, WG7X and WU8Y like this.
  7. N4NYK

N4NYK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

FT-8 is not a 100 duty cycle (DC) mode. Its a little less than a 50% DC mode. Running higher power (even 100 watts from a 100 watt maximum output radio), barefoot, is not going to hurt a modern transceiver at 50% DC. It would get warm, but it will handle it. In fact, if running in the FM mode at 100 watts, then you are running 100% DC if you are long winded. A modern transceiver is designed for that.
    However, I typically run digital modes between 15 to 60 watts depending on the band and propagation conditions: No problem.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2017
  8. K5TCJ

K5TCJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are too many variables for there to be a right answer here. With my 246' EFLW, I have worked Europe on 20 Watts, and have had to crank it up to 60 Watts to work an adjacent state on 80 at night.
    Here is where PSKReporter (https://www.pskreporter.info/pskmap.html) can be very useful and informative.
    I use it to see who is receiving signals from my Grid, to see where we're propogating.
    I then use it to see who is receiving signals from my callsign, to see how I'm doing. Depending on my S/n ratio in a target area, I can tweak my output power accordingly.

KQ4MZ and AE1N like this.
  9. W6UV

W6UV Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 (not FT-8) is 100% duty cycle while transmitting. Overall, you could say that it's less than 100% because of the 15 seconds transmit/15 seconds receive aspect, but it's still a 100% duty cycle mode as the term "duty cycle" is normally defined.

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Subscriber QRZ Page

BOUVET is expected to use alot of FT-8. All the ops are training for it.
    So what about power during a PILEUP??
    I know I ran the full gallon with RTTY in the pileups. wonder if I have to to get in the log?
    Still havent figured out how to work split "SPLEET" on FT-8!!