FT8 Portable OP Computer Time Synchronization

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KZ4TN, May 25, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
  1. KZ4TN

KZ4TN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wondering what operators do when operating FT8 remote without access to the internet to sync your laptop’s time? I have tried to manually set my PC's time to WWV but WSJT-X doesn’t seem to accept the new time. Do the time sync applications maintain time synchronization without internet connectivity?

Thanks so much,

KZ4TN

2. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a GPS dongle and IZ2BKTs program which works well. No need for internet.
    Regarding 'do they maintain time sync...". I program like BKTs can re-sync as often as you want it to. My computer clock is nicely stable so I only sync once at the beginning of a session and then shut it down. THAT depends entirely on your computer. I see some on the air that wander quite a bit in the short term.

KG5THG likes this.
  3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I make sure my laptop time is in sync before I leave home and re-sync whenever I can get a cell phone signal and can set up a hot-spot. Last May traveled across country and back, made a ton of CW and FT8 contacts from over 150 counties, never a time sync problem.

4. KG5THG

KG5THG Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I got a BU-353-S4 for use with bkttimesync if I don't have internet access for meinberg ntp. I use windows 10.

5. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

I got a gps rx, and tried a couple free programs, but wasn't impressed with them, although they do work. I finally spent the $20 and got NMEATime2. Once you set it up, it automatically finds the gps rx port from startup. Cost me a total of about $40. I use it because of satellite ISP and the 1 second latency screws up the typical network timing. Although time.is seems to work. But it's really hard in w10 to manually set the time. I used one of these from ebay VK-162 GMOUSE G-MOUSE USB GPS Dongle, $12.

Last edited: May 27, 2020