FT8 overflow frequency and PSK operators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC1IZ, May 29, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh stop it. Don't be a Mode Snob.

KS4W, WE4E and W4HWD like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

I think you have described many of the reasons why it is so popular. :eek:

KS4W and W4LJ like this.
  3. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

4. AC1IZ

AC1IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I do share the sentiment of "why should PSK etc move". Someone in a facebook conversation on this topic (yes I know not the best source) quoted K1JT as saying that the new frequencies were chosen carefully, so I'm keeping that in mind. I was wondering how other modes would adjust if the FT8 overflow freqs got more use, since I'm enjoying those other modes as a new ham. So far I haven't noticed any FT8 ops on 070 so it's not an issue right now.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
  5. AF2Z

AF2Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Not to mention making contacts while one is reading the email, playing video games, taking the dog out or gazing at the tube with SWMBO... Multitaskers got things to do and places to go! Not like the rest of us human-mode slackers. It's only right they should have more frequency space! :eek::eek::eek:

6. WD8ED

WD8ED Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 has a "conversational" mode called JS8. It's a different software application.

Ed

AC1IZ likes this.
  7. AC1IZ

AC1IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I've been meaning to give JS8 a try, I like the idea of using FT8's robustness for short chats. The fast/turbo speed settings should make chats more practical and they still use much less bandwidth than a similar WPM in Olivia. I haven't seen much activity on 20m but now that I'm on 40 I'm seeing some more. Just want to listen to some QSOs and get a feel for how people use it before jumping in.

K8XG likes this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Ed, yes I mentioned it in my post: "PSK, Olivia, Domino, JS8, etc ; real conversations like SSB talking." I do JS8 quite often. The application for folks that don't know is called JS8Call: http://js8call.com/

Most activity is on 40 meters for now.

WD8ED likes this.
  9. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

I use JS8 and PSK. PSK is a lot easier to use to carry on a QSO in good conditions, but JS8 gets through in worse conditions. They are both fun, if I have time I usually try to get a few QSOs on both of them.

K8XG likes this.
  10. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

40 then 20 has some and I have yet to see any on any other band.