FT8 overflow frequency and PSK operators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC1IZ, May 29, 2020.

ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: l-BCInc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
  1. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Are you sure about the automated "robot" activity on the JT modes? Only asking because I think that I've seen evidence of this myself in what little FT8 I've done recently. There is really no other reason why a station tries to work me more than once, sometimes even calling me more than once in a single session of operating. right?

It's really annoying, so I just am asking how do I know that it's a bot or not? I usually do not answer a repeat caller anyway, but it does get annoying, especially when they are calling me repeatedly, usually when I was trying to work DX or something...

So, what's the best way to winnow out the automated stations versus the stations that actually have a real person sitting at the controls? I'd really like to know... It's probably just something we have to put up with, right?

2. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

No way to tell because it's all uniform data exchange, nothing different whether attended or automated.

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

If it camps out belching CQ for hours on end and doesn't respond to anyone its a good bet its a bot. They often have rules programmed in to not work states or whatever that they have already worked.

KC2RGW likes this.
  4. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

" So, what's the best way to winnow out the automated stations versus the stations that actually have a real person sitting at the controls?"

Well if you use JTDX there is a button for AnsB4 that you can deactivate and you will not work stations you worked before.

5. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

We’ll see. Right now, I’m busy bricking a driveway/parking pad extension. 270 bricks down, about 200 to go.

Lunch break’s almost over, so maybe tonight or tomorrow.

6. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

You had me at Linux.

7. W9BRD

W9BRD Ham Member QRZ Page

Three hundred full pounds of Chef Antoine's southern fried glimps, toasted to golden perfection, cubed, reheated and returned to water before you're ready to speak, and inside, it's just as beautiful: two shelves where none are needed--close the door, and the light stays on!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
  8. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Why in the world should I move down running my psk? Why dont you move up. No time for nonsense.

9. K3LI

K3LI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 is not communication. You can do nothing with it other that get a signal report. Nothing, zero. Stop calling it communication as you cant communicate on it. Get on FT8 and tell me how the wife and kids are. Tell me about your shack. Oh WAIT, nm... your on FT8

10. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Then I guess RTTY, SCTV, Satellite, etc should also not be considered communication right?

Also, what makes you think I want to gab about my shack on the air? Maybe you do and that's fine for you but I just like making contacts and driving up the DXCC counter.

FT8 is a great mode for making contacts without all the BLAH BLAH BLAH.

ND6M likes this.