FT8 overflow frequency and PSK operators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC1IZ, May 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmm, write script to automate the process tied to a DXCC database and you could ping 100 entities in 5 minutes or less. Upload to LOTW, fill out the DXCC application and payment information maybe another 5 minutes. Oh, a downloadable cert suitable for printing / framing, a few more minutes. You could do the whole thing while your radio checks your Global Radio Email account...........:)

2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hellschreiber modes tend to burn a lot more than 50Hz, at least if you want good fidelity in the print. So you'll need some significant space around the received hell signal, so that you get plenty of keying sidebands without interference. Hell modes are essentially visual CW, and have considerations very similar to CW.

Olivia and PSK are far more tolerant to this, with very strictly-limited bandwidth requirements. They will interoperate fine in close proximity to FT8, et al, as long as the FT8 signals don't just completely clobber you.

That's the next issue with coexistence with WSJT-X modes, which is that there are a lot of poorly-written robots out there, so you can easily be clobbered by a robot, without the operator ever noticing. There are an increasing number of non-robot FT8ers who will gladly clobber you manually, too. :(

3. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Now THAT'S ham radio. No fuss. No muss

4. KK5JY

Nobody has proper respect for good wallpaper anymore. :D

K0IDT likes this.
  5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Do it. Then tell us about it :)

K0IDT likes this.
  6. KK5JY

Use fping... it will ping whole blocks of IPs simultaneously with a single program run.

7. K0IDT

Short answer is NO, long answer is you evidently haven't experienced the joy of having your QSO crushed by an automatically controlled station that got activated by a client that just had to get his important email over the radio
    instead of the internet. Now why should the FT8 op make space for any other mode? It's right there in the software, this is where FT8 operates, it's published, you shouldn't be there--all excuses I've heard from operators of another system when complaining to them about interfering with an in progress QSO. There are also mode cops out there that jealously guard "their" frequencies--just a heads up to save you some future grief.

ND6M and KC2RGW like this.
  8. K6CID

K6CID XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why should PSK move. We were there first. Me personally think that ft8 is a senseless mode and only feeds the ego

KC2RGW, K8XG and N5HXR like this.
  9. N5HXR

N5HXR Ham Member QRZ Page

I did use slowfeld intentionally in my example... I know the most common hell mode is something like 300Hz or something of bandwidth. But slowfeld tends to be about 40Hz, and isn't all that distinguishable from from CW, except it doesn't make any sense :).

I would be less apprehensive about this overflow issue if I had some confidence that FT8 users were kind hearted enough to recognize that some other mode is using a lane or two, and made some space.

10. K0IDT

That used to occur on 80m JT65 with cw nets sliding in to the JT and getting space and respect, today not so much. Here's something else to think about, 300,000 Techs with HF digital privileges and not a clue how to operate all piling
    on to JT8.........it could happen.