ad: MyersEng-1

FT8 overflow frequency and PSK operators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC1IZ, May 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh? Why, out of idle curiosity, does it have to be contiguous?

Surely FT8 ops don’t suffer from Rusted VFO Syndrome?

K8PG likes this.
  2. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

No. That syndrome is particular to those that talk on the same frequency to the same people about the same things every single night. The same ones that have huge beam antennas that by now must be rusted in place from lack of moving.

K9KQX likes this.
  3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

That's especially useful for people using modes with multichannel decoders, like PSK, FT*, etc., because it allows those with SDRs to expand their RX bandwidth to cover the whole "extended watering hole," within the supported FFT frequency range.

IIRC, WSJT-X only supports 5kHz of contiguous decode bandwidth for a single mode.

KP4SX likes this.
  4. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, but with a Flex 6700 you can have up to 8 receivers active at the same time. This allows me to monitor 8 different bands or band segments simultaneously . I usually have 6 going which I'm doing right now.

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

What you're comparing it to is certain specific 3 kc wide 'channels' that can be just dotted around the band.

My VFO works and my rig is not controlled by the program. I might want to copy a little of both with some overlap. That's called spreading out rather than establishing new band segments.

6. K9KQX

K9KQX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This ft8/ft4 congestion is only going to get worse as the next solar cycle picks up. I too find it to be so crowded you can't find a spot to work.

Oh I know I can spin the dial, and I do occasionally go up in the jt65 area if I see some activity. I think many of us are just trying to be good neighbors and not operate in other areas of the bands that would cause interference to the primary mode.

Oh well, not sure any of us could agreee on a solution either.

7. KY1K

KY1K Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly. Ft8 is using 2khz and is packed, JT65+JT9 have 4khz and are almost completely abandoned. Maybe the next version of the JT programs can combine those two modes into the upper 2khz and reccomend ft8 use the bottom 4-5khz. (This is applicable to at least 20m and 40m, I know not every single band is exactly the same)

KP4SX likes this.
  8. W3WN

Didn’t FT 8 spring from (so to speak) JT 65 & JT 9?

9. KC2RGW

KC2RGW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Between zombie FT8 and the relentless deployments of Winlink nodes, the traditional PSK and alternate mode windows are a trash heap and it’s a shame. The league is run by a bunch of part time lid ops who have no idea that there are hams who like to actually communicate and not just collect contacts.

Their absolute obsession with contesting and any other anti-social mode of operation just underscores how disconnected and autistic the leadership at the league has become. They should be a watchdog, putting in guard rails for all of this creep on the bands and yet they are the cause of most of it.

F8WBD and K8XG like this.
  10. W3WN

Oh goody. Some League bashing, with a dash of Contest bashing for extra flavor.

Thank you for playing. Johnny, what gifts do we have for our departing guest, and the home audience?

W4JHU and WG7X like this.