FT8 overflow frequency and PSK operators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC1IZ, May 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. K4AGO

K4AGO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I have never looked at the waterfall on ANY band and seen FT8 "packed." What I see is adequate passband and adequate signal spacing for everyone right now as it stands.

You are creating a problem that simply does not exist.

suggesting a way to alter something that you have never used quite a trick. Do you even understand the software, what it does, and how it works, or are you psychic?

"Looks packed and LOUD." is some statement. The way to make an FT8 signal "LOUD" is to use 1500 watts. After all, it is a weak signal mode.

Many, if not most operators using FT8 don't know what they are doing. That's why they transmit all over the top of each other when the frequency next to the one you are using has no one using it. Most operators who use the mode have never even bothered to read the instruction manual that Dr. Taylor and company put a great deal of effort into writing.

If you have not operated FT8, how can you suggest a solution to a problem? Especially a problem does not even exist? What makes you an expert on a mode you admitted that you have never used?

It appears that you are making a lot of assumptions about something you know absolutely nothing about.

Most of the problems in ham radio are caused by "experts" that do not have the first clue.

YO3GFH likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, no, he's not. It does happen fairly regularly -- e.g., 40m in the evenings, and 20m on days when propagation supports it. It's not every day, but it's most days.

There are some folks in that community who pretend that it's okay to call CQ on the opposite slot from somebody else on the same frequency, and use that to pretend that there's more space available, but it's not okay.

3kHz / 50Hz = 60 frequency slots if everybody is shoulder to shoulder. And that's not unusual to see -- I use software that can count them, and look for free frequency slots, and it confirms that the little 3kHz windows are sometimes just packed. That's usually when I reach for FT4 or some other non-radio activity. :)

The rest of your post, well, maybe you could tone it down a bit. :oops:

3. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

There are usually spots on 80 and 6 meters. But, 80 gets real busy so I'll work a European or two in the evening before sitting on 160M for a while hoping some DX I need shows up.

Zak W1VT

4. AC3GO

AC3GO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or doors

5. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You are correct. I've been using FT8 for quite a while now and it's sometimes difficult to find a spot to work on. Often I'll be calling CQ only to have someone else start calling right on top of me forcing me to move to another spot.

Those that think FT8 is never crowded probably aren't frequent users of FT8. Here's a snapshot of 20 meters I just took a minute ago. Look at all the signals from a single time interval. There are many more that scrolled up the screen.

upload_2020-5-29_17-42-49.png

6. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

It's also possible that their antennas and/or location are just poor. I'm starting to suspect that there are more than a few people who are trying to operate these modes while listening to S9+40 noise from a power pole in their back yard, because they really can't hear anything.

Wow, bro, you need to turn down your receive audio level there -- it's clipping. :eek: :)

KR4YON, N3UPM, KD2NOM and 1 other person like this.
  7. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Yeah. I had just turned on the Flex and when I do I usually have to adjust DAX. I took the pic before I adjusted it

KK5JY likes this.
  8. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have a feeling that the PSK ops may not like being told that they have to move from a frequency slice that they’ve occupied by something like 20 years or so.

One has to wonder, why can’t FT8 overflow go up the band instead of down? Or skip over the PSK area in the first place? Why look for trouble, when there’s plenty of available spectrum on 20 (and 40 to a lesser extent)?

N4QX, AC1IZ, N4BC and 2 others like this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bingo

AC1IZ likes this.
  10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

They could go up. That region is mostly JT65 and some various obscure stuff that only a handful of guys ever use.
    "Plenty of available spectrum" sounds nice but the idea is to make it contiguous.

N4BC, KY1K and KK5JY like this.