FT8 overflow frequency and PSK operators

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by AC1IZ, May 29, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. AC1IZ

AC1IZ Ham Member QRZ Page

FT8 now has overflow frequencies 3 kHz below its current freqs on 40, 30, and 20m. I've only operated on 20m so far and haven't operated FT8 (yet :)) but I can see why this is a great idea. 14.074 always looks packed, and LOUD.

What concerns me is this takes a big chunk out of the PSK operating space at a dial frequency of 14.070 (the situation is similar on 40m). I usually see many PSK signals up and down, typically under 2 kHz audio frequency, with wider modes like Olivia above 2 kHz. It would be great if this activity could move down to 14.068 or so, although that would be edging into the CW portion.

At the same time, there's free space higher in the data portion (stretching up to 14.095). I know this decision was made with careful consideration, even if I think it's strange that this space wasn't used.

Once FT8 starts occupying 14.071 (and given how 074 looks now I'm sure it will), what I'd love is for a new PSK and/or wider mode "watering hole" to be established higher or lower on the dial so everyone can be happy. What are your thoughts on this?

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    N3FZ likes this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

There's nothing wrong with the FT8 or PSK or CW people moving a bit. If FT8 is so popular that it needs more space, then they move into unused space.

There's nothing wrong with digimodes at 14068, either.

It's all good. I hadn't heard of the overflow for FT8... I'll look for that next time I dial in the radio. :)

K3XR and AC1IZ like this.
  3. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't know ... is there any reason that PSK31 and FT8 cannot both operate in the same "window" ? I would think that as long as the traces are not directly overlapping, they should be decodable even if there's other modes operating nearby.

KK5JY likes this.
  4. NN4RH

NN4RH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

CW can just move. CW is more "mobile" anyway since it is not reliant on "windows".

5. K0IDT

K0IDT Ham Member QRZ Page

Not everyone can be happy with your proposed solution. Right now there's a growing resistance to FTx spreading out and displacing other modes yet again. Why should modes like PSK that have had established watering holes for decades be forced to move for other digital modes? The QRP ops got pushed off 7040, Olivia, Feldhell, and a few other modes have already been kicked in the teeth more than once and they are not happy about the latest expansion
    of FT/JT. What happens when the next new digital mode comes out but needs 10kHz of bandwidth? How many 3kHz+ digital "watering holes" can be supported on narrow bands like 40m or the WARC bands? Toss in mode bigots, egos,
    and more than a little arrogance and you have the makings of mode wars.

K3XR, VE3FI, YO3GFH and 3 others like this.
  6. N6PAT

N6PAT Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

There's too much space used for SSB. It's a real resource hog. Reallocate the band segments to provide more real estate for the more popular FT8. That's where the action is these days.

N3UPM and W5TTP like this.
  7. WI0T

WI0T Ham Member QRZ Page

Being primarily a CW operator, I really never get up to the FT8/PSK frequencies anyway. Its more FT8 encroaching on the PSK31 here.

What I don't understand is why FT4 at 7.047.5, which appears to be on top of the 40 meter W1AW code practice frequency.

WG8Z likes this.
  8. K8XG

K8XG Ham Member QRZ Page

In the next 2 years folks will be going back to SSB, they are already during times of openings.

PSK, Olivia, Domino, JS8, etc ; real conversations like SSB talking [not counting contests while they open bands, they are not conversations that radio is to many folks ] Paper chasers like FT8, has to be the only reason as it does nothing but count a contact with a mouse click.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    K3UJ, WE4B, N3UPM and 4 others like this.
  9. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

It needs to be higher. There's still some space below .070, but not much...there's certainly CW on .065 on 40 and 20. ;)

WG8Z likes this.
  10. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Where are we going to move? Most of us are squeezed into the bottom 50 KCs on 40 and 20 as it is...

K8PG and WG8Z like this.