ad: InfoStat-1

FT8 (or other digimodes) on 2 meters?

Discussion in 'VHF/UHF - 50Mhz and Beyond' started by KO4LZ, Jun 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KO4LZ

KO4LZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Greetings all,

Just wondering if anyone here is making contacts using FT8 (or other digimodes) on 2 meters and what frequency you're using.

Thanks,

73, Paul KO4LZ

2. LA3YNA

LA3YNA Ham Member QRZ Page

Last week I worked a couple of station between Norway and Romania (2000km), on a vertical 2m antenna and 25watts. That was fun : )

KO4LZ likes this.
  3. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Temporarily hindered HF ops and giving 2m a try-

Actually in my region (nearby metropolitan area in São Paulo Brazil) there’s some good FT8 activity.

Was able to close a 1000km contact with 50w and a half wave dipole -
    Actually; the antenna is the coax; ~45cm each side; live and braid. Couldn’t be simpler. 5 turns 2” wide to tentatively choke CM and that’s how I’ve been rolling.

Check my call sign in PSKReporter - and you will be able to see how’s the station faring.

Center of activity 144.174 MHz.

Have patience

K8PG and KO4LZ like this.
  4. KE4VNC

KE4VNC Ham Member QRZ Page

Paul,
    I’m happy to try - there’s a handfuL of stations on 2m FT8 that I hear up to 150 mi away, but with the frequent ducting that we get it should be interesting.

KO4LZ likes this.
  5. KO4LZ

Thanks, I actually saw someone calling CQ this morning on FT8 (144.174). With the VHF contest coming up, I'm wondering if I should try to work some FT8 or just stick with CW. I will definitely start pointing my Yagi in your direction more often :)

6. KE4VNC

Paul, instead of emailing you directly, I'll add to this thread since there needs to be more going on in VHF+. I don't typically have a problem carrying on 2m simplex conversations with people down the street from you (and there are a lot of hams over there) so we shouldn't be facing much difficulty. I'm monitoring FT8 now and working on getting it to transmit - I have to remember what I did with virtual serial ports a while back to get the PTT to go.

KO4LZ likes this.
  7. KO4LZ

Amen. I like a good FM rag chew as much as the next guy, but there seems to be very little weak signal 2 meter activity in my neck of the woods. Could be my station (5 element beam, Yaesu 857D @ 50 watts), so I'm going to withhold judgement until after next weekend. [I have no trouble working digimodes on different bands with the same setup].

It would be nice if the newer digital modes lead to more weak-signal activity on 2 meters. JT65 and now FT8 made 6 meters busier* than ever these last few years

73, Paul KO4LZ

*Of course, a lot of HF rigs come with 6 meters these days, but not so easy to find an all-mode VHF rig, so that might be part of it ....

8. KE4VNC

Ah I meant to ask about your antenna - For now I only have the vertical tree omni up that is shown on my page. Me and a friend are going to climb one of the tall pines out front and put a rotator and 4 element horizontal yagi on it shortly. I'm using an ic7000. I just decoded one in Summerville SC (218 miles) so they pop in occasionally!

I've had it transmitting for the last several minutes

Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
  9. KO4LZ

Came in loud and clear but I was out mowing the lawn ....

I have a Diamond 5 element short yagi in my 2nd floor attic -- (manually) repositioned it roughly due south this morning. Am planning to add a rotator at some point.

upload_2020-6-7_16-8-39.png

10. KE4VNC

ok nice. the Station near Charleston was a -20 to me by comparison