FT8 on a 991-a

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KN6KKW, Mar 28, 2021.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KN6KKW

KN6KKW Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm using wsjt-x on linux and am trying to get ft8 working.

Everything appears correct (when I push the test PTT and CAT buttons it works) Also when I use wspr I think it is working since I see myself on the map.

When I try to use FT8 it looks like it is monitoring ok. I can see peoples calls but when my radio goes to transmit I can see on my tuner that it is hearing audio from the microphone. Is that supposed to be the case? If not how do I change that?

Thanks!

2. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

3. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Ian (KN6KKW):

I'm not familiar with running WSJT-X/FT8 under Linux when connected to a Yaesu FT991A, - but here are some thoughts regarding a common problem (I have multiple Yaesu tranceivers, incuding two FT991 s)...

Yaesu provides a proprietary Windows 10 USB driver that creates not one but TWO virtual com ports - one for CAT control and the other for audio I/O using the radio built-in sound card. NOT installing or selecting this driver and its ports causes most common FT8 issues with Yaesu radios driven by Windows 10, when using the USB port ONLY connection method.

It is also possible to use a regular USB driver that provides only CAT control through one virtual com port and then connect the radio analog audio ports to the computer sound card. But this is more (physically/electrically) complex.

You did not mention what kind of USB driver you're using, who provided it, whether is creates one or two ports or whether your radio connection uses the analog audio ports on the radio and uses USB only for control.

Anyone who tries to help will need to know that.

In the Windows world, it's possible (usually with a laptop) to RX FT8 signals just fine but be unable to transmit them due to improper port selection. If the default audio ports are selected, usually the laptop speaker and microphone, the FT8 signals can often be received (less than ideally) via the radios speaker playing into to the laptop microphone. FT8 receive will work (more or less, but with high background noise) but TX will not work - the radio may key up but no transmission amplitude will exist.

To see if this is happening, just clap your hands during receive and see if the FT8 waterfall spikes. If it does, you've selected the laptops mic as the audio input to the computer.

The good news is that someone, somewhere has seen and found an answer to running FT8 on Linux when connected to an FT991A. And I suspect solving that problem is mostly about which driver to use, or creating a combination of USB control and analog audio interfaces, in lieu of a dual driver.

Hopefully someone else on this forum can provide a more complete answer.

Good luck!

Brian - K6BRN

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  4. KN6KKW

So I will set it to data-usb but when it goes to transmit the radio changes to regular USB. FT8 also puts the radio into split mode so i have to manually switch on both vfo's but it still goes back to usb when it transmits.

5. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Use FAKE IT for the FT8 Split.

6. KN6KKW

Here are a couple screen shots of the wsjt settings

Attached Files:

7. KN6KKW

Ok i changed it to fake it but still not working. Its definitely the radios microphone because if i tap on the hand mic i see my tuner light up.

8. KN6KKW

I made another change. In the settings > radio > mode, it was set to USB per the instructions online. I changed it to data/pkt and now it isn't switching to upper side band when it transmits. I even think someone responded to my CQ but it was only one response in about 10 minutes of CQing. I'm on 20m btw

K8XG likes this.
  9. KN6KKW

The tuner isn't engaging anymore and wspr is working but I can't get any QSO's on 20m even though I see a ton of action on the band. Is that normal?

10. K6BRN

K6BRN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

No, that's NOT normal.

Is your computer clock synchronized to an internet reference? FT8 really, really likes to have all clocks sync'ed to within a fraction of a second. If it's more than 1 second off, contacts will be much harder to make.

Also, is your ALC meter deflecting when you transmit on FT8? On my Yaesu transceivers (FT-991, FTDX-3000, FTDX-1200) I've found that TX works best on FT8 when the ALC deflects halfway into the safe zone. The persistent advice that no ALC deflection is good is just bad advice for modern Yaesu radios.

If the ALC is not deflecting at all, you may not be transmitting or may be transmitting only a very low power signal.

When transmitting on FT8, what does your output power read on the FT-991A (or external meter)?

Brian - K6BRN

KC3PBI likes this.