FT8 Mode using Kenwood TS-2000

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by NI5Y, Aug 6, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. NI5Y

NI5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello fellow Hams

Calvin NI5Y

I was like most hams getting into using my Kenwood TS-2000 for PSK-31 and FT8 data modes. I found out it was a bit of a pain in the neck to get the radio to work properly. I purchased a Rigblaster Plug & Play with the 6 PIN mini DIN plug so I could use it with my Yaesu FT-950 and Kenwood TS-2000. I purchased the 6 PIN mini DIN adaptor to 13 PIN DIN to use the Rigblaster Plug & Play on my Kenwood TS-2000. The 13 PIN DIN plug PTT is wired to ground PINS 9 & 13. I had to switch the PTT ground to PIN 13 only. I then loaded the Drivers for the Rigblaster Plug & Play and connected it to my PC USB jack and sound card jack. Most Hams have noted they get PTT to work but no transmit audio via the 13 PIN DIN plug in the ACC port. This is what I did to get the transmit audio to work for PSK-31 and FT8 I connected the speaker out jack of the Rigblaster Plug & Play into a mic adapter cable.

I use my Heil sound Adapter cable from my PRO-Micro boom headset to input the transmit audio into the Mic Port on the front of the radio.

PSK-31 Mode Kenwood TS-2000
    Rig Pre-Amp try with and without (Watch Receive Window for noise levels)
    Use Heil Mic Adapter Plug to transmit Rig Blaster Audio through Mic Plug

FT8 Mode Kenwood TS-2000
    Use Heil Mic Adapter Plug to transmit Rig Blaster Audio through Mic Plug

Kenwood 13 PIN DIN plug setup for PSK-31 and FT8

PIN 3 AF Output from the main transceiver
    PIN 11 Microphone audio input
    PIN 8 Ground
    PIN 13 PTT control
    (RS232) Port must be connected to radio and PC for CAT commands

(WSJT Software) FT8 Mode for Kenwood TS-2000
    Serial Port COM ID for (RS232) Port Cable to radio and PC for CAT commands
    Baud Rate 9600
    Data Bits 8
    Stop Bits 2
    HandShake None
    DTR Hi
    RTS Hi
    PTT CAT
    Mode USB
    Split operation Fake It

(Kenwood TS-2000) Menu 50B set to 4
    Menu 50C set to 2
    Menu 50D set to 2
    (Kenwood TS-2000) transmit power level between 30 to 50 watts out.
    (Sound card on PC) set input level and output level to get best over all results.

2. N3DT

N3DT Ham Member QRZ Page

Without going into details about the interfaces, what I can tell you is if you want to put audio into the ACC2 port, you must switch the PTT with the same ACC2 port, I forget the pin numbers, they're in the book. If you want to use CAT or VOX control PTT, you must put the audio in the Mic. I find the audio in/out levels not real important in the radio, they just can't be 0.

That said, I use no interface, I just use single point grounding for the equipment, run the audio in/out directly into my computer sound card from ACC2, use a usb/Com port for CAT control, and use another usb/com adaptor with a transistor switch to PTT the ACC2 port, with the audio going in that same ACC2 port. You'll have to figure out what com port works in your situation, every computer will be different. Mine is Com6 for the CAT and Com3 for the DTR switch.

For data bits, etc, I use default, default, hardware. USB mode and no split. You'll have to figure out the audio levels yourself. I find that I use the speaker out pretty high, the slider in FT9 pretty high, but just so there's a trace of ALC, and adjust the Power out with the PWR button on the 2000. I find if I adjust the PO with the FT8 slider and the 2000 set to 100W, I get a lot of buzzing. Works for me. You'll have to play a bit, but the big thing is getting audio in the right port and switching it right.
    I used to use a Signalink plus, but it got funky and I didn't like it's vox switch so I went the above route. The DTR switch is much better, the 2000 goes into tx from the DTR switch before it gets audio and audio goes off before it goes back to RX. If you want the schematic for the DTR switch, let me know, it's pretty generic, a 2n2222, a couple 1n914 diodes and a resistor. I just wired it up on a DB9 connector.

3. NI5Y

NI5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

There is a software bug in the radio setup menu of WSJT FT8 program. In order to get the radio button in the Transmit Audio Source to switch from Front/Mic. Use the following default setup to get transmit audio source to change.
    (Note Set Radio to Kenwood TS-590S Or 890S) This will allow the Transmit Audio to be set to Rear/Data

Serial Port (set to USB Or RS232 radio CAT command Cable COM Port)
    Baud Rate 38400
    PTT Method CAT
    DTR Blank
    RTS Blank
    Data Default
    Stop Default
    HandShake Default
    Transmit Audio Source Set to Rear/Data

4. HB9PJT

HB9PJT Ham Member QRZ Page

[QUOTE="NI5Y, post: 5560600, member: 243843"
    PTT Method CAT
    [/QUOTE]

No, the TS-2000 does not CAT PTT for audio at the ACC port. You have to take the correct PTT wire.

73, Peter - HB9PJT

5. NI5Y

NI5Y Ham Member QRZ Page

Update on using modes PSK-31 and FT8 with Kenwood TS-2000 With the Rig Blaster Plug & Play

13 PIN DIN plug adapter to the Rig Blaster Plug & Plug 6 PIN Mini. I broke out the soldering iron today for the last time and was able to get the transmit radio audio to pass through the 13 PIN DIN plug to the ACC2 in the rear of the radio. You can get the adapter from West Mountain Radio. Double check the wire pin out and wire color. They sale the adapter with PIN 9 as PTT or PIN 9&13 as PTT.

PIN 3 AF Output from the main transceiver (White Wire)
    PIN 11 Microphone audio input (Green Wire)
    PIN 8 Ground (Red Wire)
    PIN 9 PTT control (Black Wire)

PSK-31 Mode Kenwood TS-2000

FT8 Mode Kenwood TS-2000

(WSJT Software) FT8 Mode for Kenwood TS-2000
    CAT Control Serial Port (Radio RS232 CAT Command Cable to PC)
    Baud Rate 9600
    Data Bits 8
    Stop Bits 1
    HandShake XON/XOFF
    DTR Hi
    RTS Hi
    PTT Method RTS (COM Port) Set for Rig Blaster Plug & Play
    Mode USB
    Split operation Fake It
    Transmit Audio Rear/Data
    (Kenwood TS-2000 Menu 50B 4
    Menu 50C 4
    Menu 50D 4

I hope its ok to post this diagram for the 13 PIN DIN plug connections view.
    [​IMG]