FT8 Mode Testing

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KJ4TX, Jul 6, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K0IVK

K0IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

Maybe I'm talking about a different slider? The slider in lower left corner says 30dB setting recommended with noise only. green means good, red too high, yellow too low. However my experience is the slider is there but has no control now on the signal level graphic as it did in Ver 1.7. So is this the slider You are referring to?

2. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Yes, this is it. I build a new package daily, as it evolves. For the past few revisions, that slider is no more. The scale is still there, just the slider is gone.

3. K0IVK

So is it still necessary to adjust the level to 30dB? Is it now suggested to adjust it using windows recording controls?
    Or maybe it's no longer necessary to be aware of the receive level?
    I always felt secure when I had the level adjusted to 30dB HI HI
    Thanks for the info, Joe k0ivk

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Yes, you still need to adjust the level using Windows control. The manual recommends 30 dB in the absence of any signal. But in practical terms, you can go another 20-30 dB. I have mine set to 60 dB. As long as you never see the color change to RED, even if momentarelly, you are ok and improving reception.

5. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

I adjust my RX levels on my KX2 with the radio's AF gain knob. Works fine. I typically keep it around 40db.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

It depends on how you feed the audio to the radio. I use a Signalink USB, the adjustment is made on the Signalink. The CODEC slider in Windows is left at 0dB. K0IVK did not say how he does it, or I missed it.

7. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

I had v1.7 working fine for a long time. Downloaded 1.8rc1. Can not get any transmit audio out. Have tried everthing w/o any luck. What am I over looking???

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Guest

Did you remove v1.7 before installing v1.8? Try removing both, if still installed. I use Revo Uninstaller to remove every residue. Then install v1.8 again.

9. WA4BCS

WA4BCS Ham Member QRZ Page

Will try that.Thanks

10. K0IVK

Thanks for all the help. My rig for digital is an FT2000 with a Signalink USB interface. The FT2K transceivers data plug audio does not go through the RX audio pot, so I don't have that option. The interface has the pot for both RX and TX levels, but I have been using the WSJT-X slider, because it had a wider range of adjustment & the noise level on my antennas varies considerably. Right now I have 2 PCs, one using 1.7 that I use on JT65 and JT9 and the other with 1.8 which I use on FT8 exclusively. I'll get rid of the extra PC when ver 1.8 is out of beta status.
    I notice using FT8 with auto sequence, the program gives multiple drastically different reports updated each transmission if the operator on the other end doesn't respond with a signal report at 1st. I try to log the best signal report that I have given to him. I wish the program would stick with the 1st report, instead of updating each time. Also, I'm not sure at what point the s/n measurement is calculated, but sometimes the report will be obviously too low, considering the bright red appearance of the signal.
    I had been a CW only Op for over 50 years when I discovered the JT modes in February of 2014, now I'm completely addicted.
    I really enjoy the speed of FT8 but when I want to work the weak weak signals I go back to JT65 or JT9.