ad: SOTA-1

FT8 Mode Testing

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KJ4TX, Jul 6, 2017.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-rfparts
ad: l-gcopper
  1. KB2SMS

KB2SMS Ham Member QRZ Page

The right side gets warm is all. And I'm not transmitting all that frequently. I hunt and pounce and occasionally call CQ.

Tom

2. PC2F

PC2F Ham Member QRZ Page

I also have the problem that my FT8 contacts on 6m-80m are not uploaded in LOTW.

Strange? The FT8 is in LOTW already a choice you can make in the MODE selection screen.

I hope they will fix this soon.

FT8 is greet mode e enjoy working with this new one.

73 de Frans PC2F (also W2PCF)

3. NE2I

NE2I Ham Member QRZ Page

I emailed this very thing to the lotw folks. never heard from them.....

George NE2I

4. AA6YQ

AA6YQ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You can and should immediately submit your FT8 QSOs to LoTW. Confirmations they generate are valid for DXCC Digital, VUCC, WAS Digital, and WPX Digital awards. To submit your FT8 QSOs to LoTW, you must first configure TQSL to automatically “map” their mode to DATA. This is a simple procedure in TQSL:

· Select the File menu’s “Display or Modify Preferences…” command (on OS X, select the Application menu’s Preferences command) to display TQSL’s Preferences dialog

· In the Preferences dialog, select the “ADIF Modes” tab, and click the“Add…” button

· In the “ADIF Mode:” box, type FT8

· In the “Resulting TQSL Mode” list, click on DATA, and then click theOK button at the bottom of the tab

· Click the Preference dialog’s OK button

Why is this necessary? There will always be a delay between the appearance of a new digital mode, and LoTW being updated to accept that mode. This delay is not the result of updating LoTW being a lengthy or onerous process; this process is actually quite straightforward. The delay allows the new mode’s properties to stabilize. FT8, for example, was originally named JT8.

When LoTW is updated to accept FT8 QSOs, will the confirmations or award credits generated by your QSOs mapped to DATA be adversely impacted? Absolutely not! If you immediately submitted your FT8 QSO mapped to DATA, but your QSO partner waited and submitted your QSO as FT8, you’ll both receive a confirmation valid for DXCC Digital, VUCC, WAS Digital, and WPX Digital awards.

At some time in the future, the ARRL may decide to offer a WAS FT8 endorsement. Such an endorsement will require an “exact mode match”, meaning that both participants in a QSO submit it to LoTW with a mode of FT8. If and when such an endorsement is offered, the polite US-based operator will:

· Delete the FT8 => DATA mode mapping from TQSL (in the “ADIF Modes” tab of TQSL’s Preferences dialog, select the FT8=>DATA mapping and then click the Delete button)

· Resubmit all FT8 QSOs to LoTW

This resubmission will update each QSO already submitted to LoTW. This will not adversely impact any confirmations or award credits already generated by the updated QSOs.

In summary, there is no reason to delay submitting your FT8 QSOs to LoTW. By configuring TQSL so you can immediately submit them, you’re enabling your QSO partners to quickly gain confirmations and award credits via this excellent new mode.

WU8Y and KS4W like this.
  5. MI0NWA

MI0NWA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The problem I have is I autolog to QRZ logbook with JT Alert and have to manually change the Mode to DATA before hitting OK, but the worse part is I end up with a load of incoming confirmation requests on QRZ logbook for FT8 which I have to reject as the Mode is set to DATA for LOTW plus the person at the other end sending the confirmation does not have the option to change their mode from FT8 to DATA on QRZ as it simply does not exist. LOTW needs to sort out the TQSL software to accept FT8, I've decided not to use FT8 for this reason alone as it's to much hassle regarding QRZ.com's logbook.
    At the minute you have 2 options, 1, don't use QRZ logbook and LOTW at the same time or 2, don't use FT8 until LOTW sorts out there TQSL software to accept FT8. If you don't use LOTW then that's fine but like a lot of operators I use both but I can only use FT8 on QRZ or LOTW, not both at the same time.

6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Easy solution...upload an ADIF file from your logging program to QRZ, instead of importing from LOTW.

People are seeing 'unsurmountable' obstacles were none exists.

There is no reason to have heart palpitations because of this. 'Must' upload to LOTW now, do the TQSL mapping. 'Must' upload to QRZ or eQSL, use ADIF from logging software. 'Must' go back to FT8 once LOTW is ready for it, delete the TQSL mapping, and re-upload.

Not in a hurry, leave the contacts in your logging software, and keep making QSOs. When all is settled, proceed accordingly.

What am I missing?

Last edited: Aug 12, 2017
  7. KV6O

KV6O Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Or even easier, just be patient! Sheesh! We're all using a release candidate version of code! It's not even released yet as a "real" mode...

I get QSL cards from QSO's that happened years ago, and people are freaking out about a QSO confirmation that happened in the past month!

Chill!

WU8Y likes this.
  8. G4POP

G4POP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You said "Log4OM is also giving error messages when downloading from LOTW,"

Please download and install Log4OM version 1.30

Terry G4POP - Log4OM development Team

9. K0IVK

K0IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

I seem to have a minor problem with Ver 1.8 cr1. In the release notes it mentions. "new behavior for the audio level slider" My experience on 2 PCs has been that the slider no longer adjusts the audio level on any mode. Is this just my problem or have others noticed it? I am working around it by controlling the audio level with Windows audio controls.
    I would appreciate any info on this.
    Some mention not being fast enough to use FT8, I find with auto sequencing enabled the program rapidly executes the QSO without much help at all.
    I definitely notice the lower sensitivity, but enjoy the speed, and seems many others are enjoying it too.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

The slider has not controlled the audio level for some time. Recently, it only adjusted the waterfall level. This has caused so much confusion, that the last few revisions have eliminated the slider altogether. The current revision is 8021.

As for sensitivity, FT8 is 4-6 dB less sensitive than JT65.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2017