FT8 Mode I cannot transmit above 2700 Hz

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by WB0ZRD, Jan 17, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. WB0ZRD

WB0ZRD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

First let me say I did a search and didn't find anything on this, so if there is I am sorry.

I have never been able to transmit a signal above 2700 Hz using FT8 mode. Using an ICOM 7300, I have checked everything I can think of. I see others that can work stations above 2700 so I'm pretty confident I should be able to too. I have changed the filter settings but nothing seems to work. There is a receiver bandwidth setting in WSJT which I've set to 3400 Hz but no change with that either.

I suspect it is a 7300 setting but I cannot find it, FT8, 100 Hz to 2700 Hz, any band, works as it should. Anyone have any idea what the problem might be?

Cheers,
    Paul WBØZRD

2. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

It’s you TX bandwidth. I’m not sure if it’s adjustable on that model. My 7200 doesn’t modulate well over 2500 Hz. If I want to go up that high on the waterfall, I have to turn the VFO.

3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Turn the VFO knob to the right until your desired frequency is within your passband.

4. KK9W

KK9W Ham Member QRZ Page

Turn the VFO and then make sure another mode isn't presently operating there before you transmit. Other modes exist above and below the default FT frequencies.

5. KD9VV

KD9VV Ham Member QRZ Page

The 7300 when in USB-D mode is limited at 2700 I believe

6. WB0ZRD

Ok, running the VFO up a couple hundred hertz will work but I believe there is another problem somewhere else. Even with the filters set to 2900 Hz which is as high as they go I can push a tone into the microphone as high as 3000 Hz before the transmit power falls off. Certainly is a mystery I'll keep looking:) Thanks!

7. WB0ZRD

Well that would certainly explain it. When the radio is in just USB mode one is able to select the transmit bandwidth but when you add DATA to it that option goes away...I would suggest that you are correct.

8. NK7Z

NK7Z XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are using WSJT-X, turn on RIG for Split, under Radio, in Settings.

AB6RF, N5TJD, WB5YUZ and 2 others like this.
  9. G0GSR

G0GSR Ham Member QRZ Page

In the first firmware release, yes but this was fixed in subsequent versions.

Update to the latest firmware.

Frank

10. KC3RN

KC3RN Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm confused. Why would you want to transmit above 2700 Hz? That would put you out of the passband of most receiving stations...

K2WH, SA0TSS, ND6M and 1 other person like this.