FT8 Mobile

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by K1JFJ, Oct 4, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. K1JFJ

K1JFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Using a VPN to my home network along with RDP.
    I can also run the Icom RS-BA1 for phone contacts.

ft8M.jpg

K3RW and N9RVB like this.
  2. K5RCD

K5RCD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you are only doing this while parked, or stationary, or as a passenger, that sounds great.
    If you are trying to do it while driving, that's totally irresponsible and reflects poorly on the amateur radio community.
    Please tell us that's not the case.

upload_2019-10-3_18-24-35.png

3. K1JFJ

K1JFJ Ham Member QRZ Page

It shouldn't even need to be said, of course not while driving.

This is for while driving..

SDR.jpg

4. N9AMI

N9AMI Ham Member QRZ Page

Best way to do this is you have a real HF mobile in the car hooked to a laptop with a FT8 program and GPS on the laptop that links to the FT8 Program and you setup the FT8 to run full automatic and start driving. The gps will change the grid square as you hit different ones. No fuss at all. Drive cross country.

5. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you doing this while driving? And if so, where?

6. N9RVB

N9RVB Ham Member QRZ Page

:D cool!

7. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Sarcasm? o_O

8. N9AMI

Nope

9. W4EAE

W4EAE Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was mainly referring to: 'No fuss at all.'

This phrase is antithetical to every experience I have ever had with mobile HF. If there is not a great deal of fuss during installation, then there will be during operation. The antenna possibilities in a mobile installation cannot even come close the to even a modest QTH station.

10. N9AMI

The point was someone can go mobile FT8 hitting grids no one ever will and do it without hands on the computer / mouse. The plug me in hams with 60 foot end fed antennas on 80 meters might have pretty good fight on there hands against my mobile on the band. I have zero interest in wasting my time driving around so other hams can work rare grid squares however it can be done and done safe putting real RF into the air.