FT8 + Linear ?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by KG7FIU, Sep 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Across all bands? Over 70.

2. WW1WW

WW1WW Ham Member QRZ Page

I was referring to 160M

3. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Working DX is...

Some times a matter of location: a station on the east coast of north America can work EU and the Caribbean every day on most bands with ease because of the over salt water path. A similarly equipped station on the west coast could do the same into the Pacific and Asia, if there was someone out there to work. In either geographic location, some DX is easier due to location.

Sometimes its a matter of propagation: No sunspots means mostly hard times for DX'in regardless of location.

Sometimes, its all about station equipment: A station with big antennas and higher power will usually (not always) work more DX than an LPCA equipped station. (Low Power Crummy Antennas).

If working DX was easy, would it be interesting? Probably not.

As already pointed out, digital / weak signal modes do not necessarily mandate low power. The (JT) modes were originally designed for EME, where a station with both high gain antennas and legal limit power bounces a signal off the moon. Definitely NOT low power, but most definitely weak signal.

QRP guys are always quick to point out that they can work DX with very low to extremely low power. That's great, but some of them (not all!) do not want to mention that the station on the other end of the QSO is usually doing the heavy lifting involved in digging out that dishwater weak signal that the QRP'er is so proud of. Not coincidentally, the station that will patiently dig the QRP signal out of the noise is also one of those heavy hitters with the big antennas that usually catch flack for having a big signal. QRP and LPCA operators are attracted to the loud signals for the same reason: a loud/ big signal is easier to work than a weak one. That's not hard to understand is it?

So remember: DX is!

4. KJ3N

KJ3N Ham Member QRZ Page

Then that would be none.

5. N2BEF

N2BEF Ham Member QRZ Page

Do not care if you run power as long as it is a CLEAN signal. It's the guys that are generating spurious junk and wiping out the sub-band that are the problem. I have dozens of screen shots of not so clean signals.

WY1P likes this.
  6. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Lots of FT8ers are running more than a few watts. Me? I've been able to do what I want to do at 50 watts. In addition to having a decent antenna, a little strategizing helps, "Which band? What time? Where's the Gray Line?" etc. ;)

7. KZ4KX

KZ4KX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I read on these forums before about amplifiers and it's usually "antenna first, then amplifier". I was struggling with a dipole for dx contacts and then built a hex beam at 40 ft. Unbelievable the difference it made. I just couldn't believe the difference. And still only 35 watts. And 122 countries.

8. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

You got it! But some people still like to push 1kW down their indoor random wire antenna.:D

9. KZ4KX

KZ4KX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

1 k indoors doesn't sound safe.

10. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I was exaggerating of course, but some will push more power up inefficient antennas instead of improving them first.