FT8 lids

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8ZI, Dec 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I like it best when it cuts the lawn for me.

W9FL likes this.
  2. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There are Op's who have several stations set up on different bands that run FT8 fully automatic, all day and night. They can be on other bands and modes, actually operating, while their other rigs are making thousands of FT8 contacts.
    Being that numerous logging software's also upload the contacts to lots, QRZ etc, no human intervention is required. Set it up, turn it on and keep paying the electric bill is all that is required. And yes, ALL of them use those Robot Radio contacts for awards.

You think that in not Kosher for awards? Do you realize thousands of Op's use remote stations that are located in more favorable locations to work DX and use them for awards? It used to be you only received credit if the contact was made within 50 miles of your listed QTH.
    Now an East coast station can utilize a remote west coast station, work all of Asia easily, and receive full credit for awards as if his signals eminated from his East coast QTH.
    Use a remote station in Australia to work the south pacific on all bands including 440, 2m 6m to 160.
    Switch to a remote in Asia for contacts on the same bands.
    Receive credit for WAS on 1.2g, 440, 2m just by changing remote stations across the country.
    DXCC awards, Honor Roll are meaningless now with these remote stations.

N3AB likes this.
  3. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes, just think about it. You can actually work all stations in the entire world on 1.2ghz to 160m within a few weeks just by utilizing many remote stations across the globe..... all from the comfort of your favorite location and a smart phone or laptop.
    Awards are meaningless anymore.

N3AB and K1VSK like this.
  4. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm not conversant with all things FT8 so I have no idea how it is done. I have not seen that capability as a native function in the software. From my experience, my FT8 calling transmissions were automatically terminated after going unanswered for a few minutes with a msg of "Runaway Mode" or something similar. Moreover, I always have to manually reset to CQ after each contact is concluded. How (and why) people are walking away is a mystery to me. Unless one is running a beacon or repeater, I can't condone unattended operation.

KE0GXN likes this.
  5. W5TTW

A lawn mower roomba is available. (For outdoor use only) ;)

6. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Can’t say I care for the remote ops you described either...

Is what it is I guess. I have been working hard for my DXCC with my 100 watts on SSB only, using a multi band wire dipole from my own QTH since day one..

In the end, it will mean something to me though. :cool:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    WN1MB likes this.
  7. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

I’m using the WSJT-X software. There’s a function called Watchdog that can be used to limit how long it transmits, which I set fairly low. There’s also a “Call 1st” function that automatically cancels a CQ call when a response is received and initiates a contact with that station. At the end of the exchange, which is automated, the software disengages and returns to monitor mode.

This doesn’t exactly make me a Digital Gangsta, but it’s fun to watch, particularly when the map of the world starts to light up with reception reports. Pretty cool for 50W and a dipole.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Remote Ops don't get to work with Athena and Chloe so you've got that going for you N8ZI!

9. W5TTW

Hey, I saw Westside Story so I know a menace to society when I see one. You're a Digital Jet, buddy boy. Where's Officer Krupkie when you need him?

10. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

How about a special "gold star" for anyone at the top of the Honor Roll that can prove that all the contacts were made from the same location?