ad: MarlFlea-1

FT8 lids

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8ZI, Dec 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. N1BCG

N1BCG Ham Member QRZ Page

The best answer I've heard to that question, which I've asked also, is that contests appeal to ops with limited operating time. This is particularly understandable given complex family obligations (kids, school, relatives) and work obligations (projects, biz trips) where things have to be planned out weeks or months in advance. There would never be time to get on the air casually, but it works if there's a specific event that can be put on a calendar.

Not the reason for everyone, but worth mentioning. Of course there's always the competitive aspect. Ragchews are not challenging to those who thrive on competition.

WB0RPF and VK4HAT like this.
  2. W1VT

W1VT Ham Member QRZ Page

I did a lot of contesting when I operated QRP from a 2nd floor apartment. I could work stations running big antennas with 4 watts to a simple wire antenna on both phone and CW. Most of the stations I worked had much better antennas than used by the typical rag chewer. I wasn't picky. I'd call everyone a few times and log whoever heard me.

Zak W1VT

VK4HAT likes this.
  3. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

6C629420-5B5E-4910-A115-55F3E402E44D.gif

4. W5TTW

W5TTW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I find them extremely challenging when the topics revolve around medical issues or general geriatric bitching. I can really relax by working FT8, while enjoying a vodka martini with pretty much anything on Blue Note records playing in the background. :)

WB0RPF, VK4HAT, KJ4VTH and 1 other person like this.
  5. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Contests are are popular among high skill level, high performance operators. Typically the more "Type A" personalities in the amateur radio fraternity. Guys (usually) who spend a lot of time and money maximizing their station capabilities and signal quality to make difficult qso's, first time, any time, all day and night long. Most serious contesters are also skilled cw operators, It's a different subset than the "i just enjoy talking to my buddies on 75 phone and seeing if I can meet somebody new" crew.

These are usually the same guys who come into a DX pileup, listen for a minute or two, make one well timed call, work "YOUR" dx, and casually move on to the next.

W9FL, WF4W, W4POT and 4 others like this.
  6. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Obviously you failed to read the entire thread then spouted your drivel.
    Go back and read ALL the comments, especially mine. You will quickly learn the interfering Op knew exactly who he was calling as it was the same DX station I was attempting to contact.
    The interfering Op transmitted on exactly the same frequency as the DX and precisly the same TX interval. Can you comprehend that? It is called doubling, for over 12 minutes without realizing the error..........
    This went on for more than 12 minutes before I left the mode and went to CW.
    12 minutes of calling with no reply is two FT8 watchdog time outs in which the offending Op had to recycle the software.
    This Op had 12 minutes of only seeing his message in the right hand decode window. That is enough to clue anyone into the fact something is wrong.
    Can you comprehend that?
    How comical you advise me to work the newbie. Apparently you fail to realize that would also make me QRM the DX and ruin other stations from making the DX contact.
    Did you forget 2 wrongs never make it right?
    Did you also fail to read the fact I emailed the Op and informed him of his errors?
    Did you miss the comment where I mention mentoring this Op who just upgraded to General on the 6 of December 2019..... you know....... last week.
    Did you pass over the comments where I discuss the exchange of emails and how I attached links to FT8 operation websites so this newbie could educate himself?
    Why did you even comment when you have ZERO clue of what transpired?
    I've wasted enough time with you.
    Happy Holidays as gud DX :)

KP4SX likes this.
  7. KE0GXN

KE0GXN XML Subscriber QRZ Page

While I don’t find it interesting to work FT-8, if others do more power to them. I’d rather have folks active in the hobby then not at all...

However, this deal I hear about folks being able to do “robotic mode” or whatever it’s called, where a guy can set-up and go to bed and wake-up with several contacts in the log just does not sound “kosher” to me. Especially if the guy puts in for awards and what not......just saying.o_O

8. K5ABB

K5ABB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I too enjoy pretty much the entire Blue Note catalouge... but not when I'm contesting.

Also we agree on another thing as well... Skip the "Organ Recital" please, I really don't care.

W5TTW likes this.
  9. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You were wrong, apology accepted.
    Happy Holidays es gud DX

W5TTW likes this.
  10. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

Or playing golf, cutting the lawn, taking a nap, ....

Ham radio has come a long way since the days of actually having to touch a radio.

W0FS, N5PAR, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.