FT8 lids

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N8ZI, Dec 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

of course we will have to argue about the definition of "same location" ya know.

2. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty certain gold stars get phased out around 3rd grade of elementary school...

ND6M likes this.
  3. WN1MB

And when that gets tired, we can argue about arguing and arguments.

4. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Exactly, contesting and DX probably make up the vast bulk of activity and the reasons I think are simple. For me at least, the less I personally have to do with hams, the more I enjoy ham radio. Sounds counter intuitive to some, but its certainly what works for me. UR 5NN TU 73 means i do not have to know about someones politics, whacked out conspiracy theories, racism, misogyny, homophobia, sexism etc etc and I don't have to hate them in return. In the end, its radio for radio sake and I just do not want to know the person on the other end, but will collect the call sign like stamps.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2019
    W7UUU, W5TTW and AC1HH like this.
  5. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm with ya.
    With a 100w ICOM IC-725 and a G5RV I made DXCC SSB in 65 days and DXCC CW in 85.
    it can be accomplished over the weekend during a major contest if someone really wants it bad enough.
    Awards have lost their luster with so many Op's using these remote stations.

KE0GXN likes this.
  6. VK4HAT

VK4HAT Ham Member QRZ Page

Took me 5 years mostly qrp using a wire antenna and only 2 bands. Mixed mode though, roughly an equal split of ssb, cw and ft8

W4RAV and N8ZI like this.
  7. N8ZI

N8ZI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

If you send 6 minutes of FT8 transmissions without a contact, the TX watchdog gives you a time out and turns of auto TX.

There are ways to override that and let it run 24/7/365 without human intervention.

Today's DXpeditions must enjoy it very much. They can travel to some exotic paradise, set up the equipment, turn on FT8 then go lay on the beach, get drunk, go sightseeing all day and night. When the trip is finished they just pack everything up, go back home and sell the QSL cards to pay for their vacation.

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like heaven :)

W5TTW and N8ZI like this.
  9. WN1MB

Regarding awards and such: folks with that rabid quest for recognition must have some psychiatric label. Closest I can guess would be "egomaniac with an inferiority complex."

I'm not trying to be overly course or mean here. I don't "get" tournament bass fishing, either. Tens of thousands of dollars, maybe more, in massive bass boats, 300 HP engine, trailer, heavy duty truck to haul it all around, tens of fishing poles, hundreds of lures, fish finder electronics, etc. All to just "go fishin'" on the weekend?

To each his or her own, I guess.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2019
    W4RAV and VK4HAT like this.
  10. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Googled that and surprisingly came up with this image
    [​IMG]

AD5HR likes this.