ad: NI4L-2

FT8 "IS" the death of Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Dec 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
  1. W4RAV

W4RAV Ham Member QRZ Page

From YOUR point-of-view. Some of us care very little about talking to a stranger across the world about their aliments or accomplishments.
    I could just as easily randomly dial a phone number and get about the same benefit. And about as technically challenging as "Phone" or CW.

Oh, and saying "... without even interacting with your radio..." shows an abundance of ignorance. You think it just sets up on it's own?

Funny how much angst FT8 has caused the haters. Must be because they have nothing else to work in this cycle.
    Don't fret, your chance to check into the 10M geriatric no-traffic net is coming.

Maybe.

WU8Y likes this.
  2. W4EAE

W4EAE Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought that my original post made it clear that I was indeed stating my own feelings. I genuinely do not care what others do. I am simply lamenting the fact that it seems that so few people on any HF mode seem to be doing anything other than contesting.

If you care little about having conversations with people, that is fine. I do wonder a bit about why you have a hobby of which the ultimate end is communication though.

I could easily dial a random phone number and 'get the same benefit.' You could easily log on to a chat room or forum such as this one and 'get the same benefit' as FT8. It would go something like:
    'I'm here.'
    'I see you are are here.'
    'I can read what you wrote.'
    'Bye-bye.'

You are being willfully obtuse if you perceive my comments as showing 'an abundance of ignorance.' Let me be more clear. I have run FT8 on my HF rig, and maybe it is because I have worked with computers for my entire life, but it took less than ten minutes to get everything running and make my first contact. In the next ten minutes staring at a computer screen, I realised that I had wasted the short time it took to set it up.

Forgive me if the above was too caustic, I simply knew no other way to answer your statements.

I like hot food. Some people don't. It doesn't bother me.

You like FT8. I don't. Don't let it bother you. I genuinely wish you well in your pursuits if you enjoy them.

As I wrote before, I hope it is so successful that it subsumes all contesting. I now wish FT8 a brilliant future!

3. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

4. W4EAE

5. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see another 'storm' approaching this thread.:D

The weather here is normal for this time of the year, but I hurt my back this weekend, handle here is Vince, back to you.

6. KK5JY

The never-ending battle between "why can't people make conversation anymore?" and "m0@r contacts!"

7. W4EAE

Without rhetorical battle, a man can never know the strength of his own ideals.

8. KK5JY

I'm totally going to quote that one to my boss next time we meet. I'll let you know how it goes. ;)

KP4SX likes this.
  9. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Worst case scenario... you'll have more time for radio.:D

WZ7U, W2VW and KK5JY like this.
  10. W4EAE

You need to join an organisation with a more flat team structure.

KK5JY likes this.