FT8 "IS" the death of Amateur Radio

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by VK4HAT, Dec 2, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's why I'm so concerned about the decline in the number of pirates and what that means for the earth's temperature.

I mean kids know pirates are cool, but to see such irrefutable scientific proof ;)

[​IMG]

VE1DDD, KE0NSK, AA5CT and 4 others like this.
  2. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

One of my favorites:

upload_2018-12-2_13-12-7.png

AA5CT and K7TRF like this.
  3. W4EAE

W4EAE Subscriber QRZ Page

In as much seriousness as can be mustered: FT8 is simply the culmination of decades of the contesting mindset. Now, you can make 120 contacts in a hour without even interacting with you radio or any other human being in any remotely meaningful way. Great way to rack up those points--terrible way to accomplish what I got into amateur radio for in the first place.

In the relatively short time that I have had my license, I have made around three hundred contacts. (I cannot be certain because--horror of horrors--I don't record every single one of them). But my goal is not be able to say 'I made random number of contacts toady/this week/this month/ever.' I would like to occasionally have an actual conversation with someone I don't know in some distant place.

Maybe FT8 is a blessing. Maybe all contesting will eventually migrate to FT8. Then I will be able to call CQ on SSB without being asked 'What's your number?'

If everyone thinks this all of this sounds crazy, maybe I just don't belong on HF despite my license privildges.

KE0GXN, KA4DPO and KC1DQH like this.
  4. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

So, if the premise of the thread is correct, it's a good day to die.

UR6EA and VK4HAT like this.
  5. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's totally amazing that I have not learned in three decades what some folks have learned in three months. Maybe ham radio is dying: lord knows the predictions of that have been made for many years.

So, its back to ham radio school for this OT. I'll be sure to share my new knowledge as soon as the noobs give it to me!

Awaiting knowledge, noobs please dispense...

Thanks!

N4BC, KE0GXN, VK4HAT and 1 other person like this.
  6. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's actually closer to 45/h, at most, at least on FT8. :) The most I have been able to achieve on FT8 is about 20/h.

But you are quite correct that people are distancing themselves from conversation, and concentrating on just making the contact. That has been true for at least 20y now in the radio realm.

Maybe it's because of things like this. [qrz.com]

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Oh yeah, just wait until the locust swarms, and it starts raining frogs, then you'll change your tune by golly.:D

WG7X and KC8VWM like this.
  8. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Me too. And for that I'll use a mode suited for conversation. They still exist believe it or not!

WU8Y and VK4HAT like this.
  9. VK4HAT

VK4HAT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I know for me why i like 599 tu 73 over name is rob, antenna dipole, wx hot.

10. UR6EA

UR6EA Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, I took part in today's FT8 contest.
    So, my impressions......

1. FT8 has a significant redundancy of information that is not needed for loud signals! We lose time on this redundancy!
    I didn’t know what to do while... I making QSO!
    I`m drank tea, read forums, talked on the phone ... watched TV.
    What about a Robot for FT8 Contest? I`ll be sleeping... and Winning!
    Cool!

2. Dynamic range FT8 from -24dB to +24dB!
    If in the channel we are have powerful stations with levels of 9 + 50 dB, weak stations with levels of less than S-9 are not decoded!
    I saw dozens of North American stations, including K1JT, but with my 100 watts - I was have QSO`s with a few!
    Probably my signal was too weak....
    So, on the same antennas in CQ WW CW, I didn’t have a problem to make a hundreds QSO`s with NA and DX`s!
    It was possible because in CW, we are can using 100 Hz bandwitdh... instead 3 kHz in FT8!

---------------
    So, What about FT8 Contesting?

Most likely, for Contest, optimally apply a faster protocol... 5 s or less!
    We can use PSK Reporter to tune Correctly in to the frequency of the Correspondent and receive it in a narrow bandwidth(100 Hz)!!!

---------------

Of Course FT8 is a GREAT MODE for VHF and space communications, for DX-ing!

So, for Contests - I want faster and more "QRM-proof"!
    Like CW....

73!

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018