ad: elecraft

FT8 Idiosyncrasy F/H

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by AB8MA, Oct 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Has anybody ever experienced anything like this?

upload_2019-10-2_17-13-24.png

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

did you manually change your Tx offset from 1433 to 354, then 654?

It looks like multi streaming (MSHV), but, that shouldn't change your Tx offset.

AB8MA likes this.
  3. AB8MA

No, I didn't manually change my Tx frequency. That was automatic with Fox and Hound.

My point is that WSJT-X sent "<RR73> AB8MA R-15" instead of "ZK3A AB8MA R-15".

4. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

There are still some issues with F&H. Whether it's the software or operator/hardware induced, I have no idea.

I won't say the issues are minor because they are not, if your contact was the one mangled.;)

AB8MA likes this.
  5. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I think you missed one of the benefits of F/H mode: the Fox station can reply to two different stations in one transmission. IOW, K9EXY received the RR73 and you received the signal report of -16.

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Put your program in full auto mode and don't sweat the details.
    /sarcasm

7. AB8MA

So, did this cause my responding by sending a signal report to RR73 instead of ZK3A? In addition, I think QSB bit me again. According to AC4GW:

8. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

No, though it does appear that you inadvertently changed the call from ZK3A to RR73 - perhaps by double-clicking on that message (?) - I can't think of any other way that RR73 became the active call. WSJT-X would not do that by itself.

Did you ever receive a RR73 message for your call?

Google FT8 DXpedition Mode User Guide - Princeton Physics for a complete explanation of this special mode.

AB8MA likes this.
  9. AB8MA

No I didn't. But they did log me.

upload_2019-10-3_10-38-54.png

That may very well have been what happened. I cannot explain it otherwise.

10. KP4SX

KP4SX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a similar thing happen last night when working A82Z. The only thing I can think of that I did differently was entering his call in the DX Call window instead of clicking on a message to load his call into the auto sequence. I dunno if that would upset things. I don't use F/H frequently enough to be intimately familiar with it although I always seem to get my man.

Another oddity that I see in the non-f/h mode regards the signal report logging. If I get a reply from calling a guy and he dumps me mid-way and works somebody else and then comes back to me the program will log the report he gave the other guy.