FT8/FLDIGI support for PowerPC or 68k Macs running system 9?

Discussion in 'Mac Ham Radio on macOS & iOS' started by VE3GZB, Mar 14, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. VE3GZB

VE3GZB Ham Member QRZ Page

Thinking of getting one of these older computers for the sake of a trip down memory lane, just wondering how practical it would be to run more modern digital modes?

73s, VE3GZB

2. KQ8W

KQ8W XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't think it's practical at all. System 9 is completely different from OS X, and I don't think there's a compatibility layer or code variant that would support it.

VE3GZB likes this.
  3. WV8A

WV8A Ham Member QRZ Page

Earliest archived version of fldigi is 4.0.16, for OS X (unknown which one) on PPC. Nothing earlier in W1HKJ's archive.
    I used to run ax.25 Packet with a TNC with OS 9 on 68k and the AEA "MacRATT" software. If you can find a TNC and a terminal program you could give that a go. The PK232 also can do RTTY.
    Modern digital modes, nope.

Chuck
    WV8A

VE3GZB likes this.
  4. KC3PBI

KC3PBI XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Go check out Black Cat Systems. Chris got a lot of different modes working for PPC macs back then. Not sure if those releases are still posted but they did exist...

I would not expect you'd be able to get fldigi running on os9 mostly because I don't think there was ever any fltk development kit for mac os 9. The same PPC mac might run it in OS X though.

Good luck, could be fun!

VE3GZB likes this.