ad: ARR

FT8 expansion?

Discussion in 'Working Different Modes' started by W3MMM, Jun 28, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W3MMM

W3MMM Ham Member QRZ Page

Is there an approach or plan for FT8 expansion vs a single frequency?

I'm thinking something like 14.074 AND 14.077 being standard (not F&H) frequencies vs nonly 14.074.

While this doesn't always happen, there are many times when 14.074 is just 'full.' - that doesn't mean that more signals couldn't fit in there, or that FT8 isn't VERY good at picking signals out from QRM. Buuuuuttttt... when the band is heavily populated with +05 signals, the chances of grabbing that -17 signal goes down.

I get that one of the big benefits of FT8 is the ability to see "the band" with one look. Adding a second frequency splits that capability. But consider:
    = I believe the software could be modified to allow the user to see 6 kHz (14.074 through 14.080) effectively doubling the window. Maybe the new software would move you to the upper or lower half when making a QSO to allow for those still using the 3 kHz approach.
    = There's already a bit of effort that goes into moving around in FT8 - between bands and between the standard frequencies and the F&H frequencies. It wouldn't be the end of the world to have to look "next door."
    = It would be impossible to work out a "only weak signals" rule per block. But simply spreading people out will help.

Has there been any discussion about this? Does it have merit?

KT5WB likes this.
  2. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Not that I know of, that said, I see no reason why people cannot spin the dial a little. I don't know who 'owns' 14078 to 14090. 14090 being the 'standard' 20M F&H frequency, it would be an appropriate upper end for FT8.

The software is not the problem, I don't think, the receiver is. The reason I say this is that when I use an SDR receiver, I can expand the WSJT-X windows way past 3kHz.

KT5WB likes this.
  3. N5SMO

N5SMO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Though this does not answer your question, I bet many people don't know.......you can manually type in any frequency in the band selection window in the format mm.kkk

KT5WB likes this.
  4. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

^ neat trick, did not know that

5. K7GQ

K7GQ Subscriber QRZ Page

I'm surprised at this question ... No one seems to be using a single frequency. Here in EU, the "band segment" expands as more users appear - dynamically. 40m, the band segment I mainly work here runs from below 7072 to above 7075, and I've noticed the same thing from Hawaii.

6. KT5WB

KT5WB Ham Member QRZ Page

All it takes is for a few people to get together and make a decision on which freq they want to agree to use. As per the regs I believe we can operate anywhere we want in the "data" allocation, as long as the freq is not actively being used at that particular moment.

Someone pick a spot and I'll meet them there. I'm tired of fighting for a swimlane at the current watering holes.

7. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Not at all surprised at the question. Looking at the software right now and also operating on 15 meters. When you click on 15 meters the software gives you 21.074000 as the frequency. For new users especially that's at least a starting point. As activity increases other frequencies or a range of frequencies may be appropriate.