FT8 DXCC experiment completed !

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT, Mar 22, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
  1. NI4TG

NI4TG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

There is disagreement through seven pages of this discussion. The only thing two hams can agree on, is that the other one is wrong. Some military veteran hams are hard of hearing, and the digital modes allow them to enjoy the hobby. They are still using an antenna, dealing with SWR, and show knowledge and skill to operate. Let them enjoy. Edit : and just an observation, FT8 users will almost always confirm a contact.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
    KC9YGN, N4FZ, W3ATV and 2 others like this.
  2. W9EBE

W9EBE Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank-you to the OP for the update. I was hoping to learn of the result of the endeavor here on the Zed.

Presently, I operate CW-only except for occasionally using 2m FM 'phone. Although I prefer CW to any other mode, I think it's fabulous that others are interested in other modes than I use. Keep up the good work and ham on.

And please STOP this ridiculous infighting. Sheesh...

N4FZ likes this.
  3. WN1MB

WN1MB Ham Member QRZ Page

One must honestly admit that some of the infighting makes for very entertaining reading. ;)

WD4ELG, N4FZ and W4RAV like this.
  4. G0WXU

G0WXU Ham Member QRZ Page

A morse key

5. W3ATV

W3ATV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I believe you are incorrect. :D:p:cool::)

WN1MB, KR3DX and K3SZ like this.
  6. KA6S

KA6S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yep - I have a roughly 50% reply rate on LOTW for FT8 QSOs.

7. KA6S

KA6S XML Subscriber QRZ Page

These guys using keyers are cheating. What is the point. If it isn't done with a straight key it doesn't count... kind of sounds the same doesn't it ;-)

WD4ELG and W3ATV like this.
  8. K1VSK

K1VSK Ham Member QRZ Page

when any goal (in this case, working 100 countries) is so easy to achieve, it usually isn’t much of an achievement.

Can’t remember who said that but he was a smart guy.

KA2FIR, WD4ELG and W4RAV like this.
  9. DL8KFO

DL8KFO QRZ Lifetime Member #296 Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Okay, apparently our experiment has revealed above all the split that runs through the hamradio-world.

It was certainly not our intention to show that FT8 is the world's greatest mode of operation.
    Nor did we intend to show that a DXCC with FT8 is not worth its paper.
    Our experiment was simply about the question how long a small station with FT8 needs to operate the DXCC. We wanted to answer this question without ideological background. For me personally there isn't a better mode of operation than CW. But also I found this experiment interesting. It also gave me an insight, which operators use this new operating mode and what their reasons are.
    And 2020 QSOs with 100 DXCC were even for a team stressful. This was not a cheap gift. One advantage of FT8 is for sure that the operators give an electronic QSL very fast. Until today, 89 countries have already been confirmed.

Although in my opinion there is hardly anything more impersonal than a FT8-QSO, I was surprised how much feedback we received from the operators. By email, QRZ.com...etc. Many people who work in FT8 have fun with this mode of operation - and that is their right!

Of course I find it sad that CW activity is declining. But there will always be people who care about CW, SSB, RTTY...etc.
    Our hobby must not divide us because of an ideology question.

So: Have fun with our common hobby, no matter in which form!

Torsten DL8KFO

KA2FIR, VE7JBX, WN1MB and 2 others like this.
  10. GM6DX

GM6DX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

When there is change there is resistance. I think it should be looked at as an effort well done. The modest station, modest antenna showing worldwide propagation can take place and if you were a new entrant into the hobby with a power limit of 10w like in the UK this would definitely be a mode that you would do. Let's not get upset about which mode is better....life is too short. ;)

DL8KFO likes this.