ad: cq2k-1

FT8 Burnout? Possible Remedy: Conversation

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by NW7US, Nov 22, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. NW7US

NW7US Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Case in point?

2. NW7US

I, for one, appreciate pointless quips. Just adds more noise. Some folks thrive on noise.

3. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, you got it!! Duh for the humor impaired

4. NW7US

In this festive season, warm your humor-endowed self with joy as you read your own succinct specimens of joviality. You deserve it.

Satisfy yourself as you gift with your pithy instruction those who you judge are lesser-skilled participants of the QRZ forums. Perhaps the QRZ community has reaped great reward from your diligent efforts to hunt down the verbose so as to bestow upon them your keen insight on curtailing their wordy expressions. Your humor-laced examples of superior prose stand proudly on your behalf. Pat yourself on the back.

5. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Gentlemen, if we could remain focused on discussing the subject matter rather than discussing one another, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    NW7US likes this.
  6. NW7US

Thank you for sharing your opinions, and then this:

Your contribution to the discussion on Olivia and MFSK digital modes is appreciated.

I'm in the process of making a video series that will include the more technical aspects of MFSK and Olivia, et al. Your points are well taken, and are influencing my content that will be in the video series.

KA2CZU and KD7MW like this.
  7. N6SPP

N6SPP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

~~ MultiPsk by F6CTE~~ Yes, a very useful program. If you get bored easily, then this is the program for you. I've enjoyed this one for many years. The dashboard is a bit busy, but fun. 73,Eric (wsjt'ing since 2001)

8. VE3TMT

VE3TMT Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried FT-8, would be nice if you could actually have a QSO like PSK31. The canned back and forth responses get tiring quickly.

9. VE3PP

VE3PP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Well I can say that my RSID signal does not go out at 100 watts. In fact if I have everything set up to transmit with 20 watts PEP the opening RSID goes out at 5 watts, or 1/4 of the actual output of your transmission.

10. WU8Y

WU8Y Ham Member QRZ Page

I tried PSK31, the boring QSO information about the other operator gets tiring quickly. It would be nice if you could make a quick QSO and be done with it.

ND6M likes this.
  11. KD7MW

KD7MW Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Ham radio is not a zero-sum game where only one person or group can "win." But Internet discussions seem to shoehorn every subject into the zero-sum model. Too bad. The whole point of the original post was that FT8 is not designed for conversation. If you like keyboard conversation, you might like Olivia.

VK6APZ/SK2022 likes this.
  12. AK9S

AK9S Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks for the article. Because of it, I am now enjoying Olivia along with other older conversational modes which I have not used in years.

After making over 4,500 contacts on FT8 and JT modes, there's simply too many fish in the ponds which I have previously caught and released. Always looking for a new one.

Olivia is something different and I enjoy it, along with MSK144 which is relatively new to me. Not many on these modes, but expanding one's horizons makes the hobby funner. I urge people to try them out and draw their own conclusions - the hobby tends to be much more enjoyable when one dabbles often.

13. N3HKN

N3HKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Money + QTH = need to use digital. I am in a 2 story/floor condo. The Committee For Good Taste patrols the back yards twice a year and now takes cellphone photos of violations. And, the general background noise from devices, etc. is S7 to S9 with a halfwave antenna (9:1 balun) out of a second floor window down to a deck. For me to utilize the hobby for general enjoyment digital is the best alternative. My focus will have to be PSK-31 since I simply can't discern the multitudes of modes and various other protocols. The noise issue will HOPEFULLY be somewhat solved with an amplified loop on the deck (on order) for receive and a dipole in the attic 30ft above ground for xmit. I believe a small SDR running 5w will allow me to have the selectivity and noise removal to further improve my SNR. IF there is really an Olivia frequency I can park on then maybe I can begin to learn the sound patterns along with FLDigi decode revealing the particular Olivia flavor.
    N3HKN

14. K3DFD

K3DFD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Good stuff!