FT8 and seven digit callsign how?

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Software' started by ZS1F, May 16, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. ZS1F

ZS1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Guys

I want to use our Local Club special callsign (ZS70BAK) in FT8....is this possible?

Thanks.
    Andre ZS1F

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

No, not possible. Sorry.

3. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I understand that FT8 has character limitations, but it is a shame not to allow seven-character call signs if that is the case.

I sometimes use a club call K7ACW/4 and WSJT-X shows the call sign initially, but not the grid square. The /4 call sign also shows on CQ. But not on other standard messages. In other words, it shows properly on TX1 and TX6 but not on TX2-TX5. Hopefully the people I work understand this limitation.

And hopefully the WSJT-X folks can find a way to enable longer call signs.

4. K6CLS

Look at the way calls are encoded in JT modes, look at the number of bits available per message (72), nothing spare there.

ND6M likes this.
  5. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

why the "/4",... doesn't the grid establish your location?

AL4Y and W7UUU like this.
  6. K6CLS

Yes it does. But to be legal with foriegn operating, some times need to prepend or append the local prefix. For example, K6CLS/VP2V.

Prefix annotations are a compromise in JT modes and as N4UP noted not available in every message. Not enough bits.

Also, some places require CW ID as well, which is optionally sent after some messages.

7. N4UP

N4UP Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

There are two club members who routinely use the club call sign, one is the Trustee, in Nevada, and he uses K7ACW. We don't want people to be confused about who/where they have worked, so I use K7ACW/4.

Yes the grid would tell people where we are, but logging K7ACW for Nevada and K7ACW/4 for Virginia makes it easier for us to confirm contacts. We are planning to have both call signs in LoTW, much like I have N4UP and N4UP/M as separate call sign logs.

8. ZS1F

ZS1F Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you Guys.

73 Andre ZS1F