FT8 and PSK31 Digital Ops -- Field Day Strategy?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK5JY, Jun 17, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
  1. KK5JY

KK5JY Ham Member QRZ Page

Every year when FD rolls around, I scroll over to 14070 to check out the absolute demolition derby that is the PSK31 calling frequency, to watch dozens of stations all clobbering each other trying to make contacts. And such is the lot of any popular mode where the operators can't pry themselves out of their tried-and-true watering hole.

Many days, quite apart from any contest activity, 14074 and 7074 look very similar to FD PSK31 -- way too many ops trying to cram into way too little space, and may the biggest amplifier prevail.

So... those of you who plan to run non-RTTY(*) digimodes for FD this year, what are you planning to do to avoid becoming part of the problem? What other frequencies or ranges are you planning to frequent(**) to make contacts without clobbering each other?

(*) I leave out the RTTY folks, because they long ago figured out how to turn the VFO dial to find more space to operate.

(**) ...all pun intended.

2. WT4W

WT4W Ham Member QRZ Page

In my humble opinion FT-8 isn't a great mode for any kind of contest, especially field day, for the simple reason that it takes around 2 minutes per contact. On top of that on the most popular bands the FT-8 sub-band is already packed so the contact rate is going to be even slower than normal. I'd like to see a separate FT-8 frequency designated for the busiest contests.

3. KK5JY

I have been thinking about doing an all-FT8 FD this year, but unless the larger FT8 community has a solid plan for "deconflicting" the watering holes and spreading out the contacts, it's probably not worth the setup time.

4. KC8VWM

KC8VWM Ham Member QRZ Page

Futile 8 ?

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  5. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

to your point, i am on 40m FT8 (im at work so FT8 is easier to work remotely) -- plugging away making QSOs (looking for NE & VT for 40m WAS) -- been on same freq for 30 mins... then some guy just starts transmitting on my same freq and same time slot... both of is obviously clobbering each other...

regardless of mode, it's the same ole thing - lack of operating knowledge and/or common sense.

KK5JY likes this.
  6. KK5JY

Quite possible. :)

7. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

Why not just slide up to the next kHz?

8. KX4Z

KX4Z Ham Member QRZ Page

or as the need may be, down a bit, or up further? I guess that's your point.....

9. WF4W

WF4W Ham Member QRZ Page

move up. when you move down, you encroach into other areas like PSK & CW

10. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Note that all digital modes are equivalent for FD purposes - if you work someone on a particular band using one digital mode, you can't work them again for credit using another digital mode.