ad: AbAuRe-1

FT8 and HRD

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by WA3LCO, Feb 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: abrind-2
  1. AJ6LB

AJ6LB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That’s not quite it, though. WSJT-X is licensed under the GPL v3. If HRD included the FT8 code, all of HRD would be encumbered by that license as well, so HRD would then become open source under GPL v3.

2. NE3R

NE3R Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm pretty sure that FT8 is open source, there are a lot of people making software that use the mode. Sounds like HRD are the ones doing it wrong. IIRC they would take away your license if you gave them a bad review, now that's nasty.

3. WL7CG

WL7CG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

HRD rig control works really well with WSJT-X and JTDX on my FT-950 and FT-891. I'm not sure that joining DM780 and FT8 or one of the other JT modes would be in a benefit.

4. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

FT8 Dogs.jpg

W9FL, W4IOA and N1VAU like this.
  5. AJ4WC

AJ4WC Ham Member QRZ Page

IDK, every time I go to check on PSK-31 frequencies, there’s no one there.

I wish there was some PSK activity.

6. W4IOA

W4IOA Ham Member QRZ Page

Requires too much effort.

7. K4ED

K4ED Ham Member QRZ Page

If HRD included the FT8 code, all of HRD would be enhanced by that license as well.

Fixed it for you. :)

8. KE5MC

KE5MC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I have my doubts that the makers using the FT8 code have a product they are selling. I'm not clear on mixing open source code and pay for use as I don't have experience in that area, but it seems reasonable that HRD if they can't buy/pay for the rights to use it they can't include it and benefit from the work of others that want it to be open source. HRD's bad 'behavior' is old news and related to one person's less than best customer service attitude who has been encouraged to move on.

K8HIT likes this.
  9. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks ! I learned something new here! Magic to see both programs working together... after all the time I've been using FT8 and HRD at the same time but separately.

10. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You are quite welcome. It wasn't obvious to me that the two could work together this way. I came across this when I couldn't get WSJT-X to work with a 756PIII. While searching for a solution I came across a tip suggestion this method. It worked as slick as...well, you get the idea. Getting the automatic logging took a try or two but from what I remember wasn't too hard. IIRC I had to restart WSJT-X after entering the settings to get it working.