FT8 and FT-991 60M problem

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K7NWF, Mar 6, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. K7NWF

K7NWF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Recently trying to work FT8 on 60 meters using my FT-991 on 5.373mhz channel and cannot get the rig to transmit in the USB data mode. It works fine for CW or SSB but not data. (MARS channels)

The only way to get it to transmit is my putting the 991 into the service mode, pressing the fast, A/B and A=B buttons at the same time while powering up the radio. Once the radio powers up, I select the band button, the turn the multi knob until I reach the 5mhz frequency. I can make FT8 contacts with no problem.

Then I decided to do a firmware update, which was successful, however, cannot get the radio to work at all now in data mode, USB on 60 meters.

Spoke with Yaesu tech support, advised of my problem, local tech support had no answer to correct the problem. They are contacting Japan Engineering with a solution. So far, have not heard back from Yaesu.

Just wondering if anyone else is having the same problem on 60 meters and have found a work around solutions.

Norm
    K7NWF

2. ND6M

ND6M Ham Member QRZ Page

Have you tried 5.357.0 DRO (5.358.5 suppressed carrier) Ch 3.

You can not use the VFO for 60 meters, you can only use the pre-stored memories. they are only CW or USB modes.

http://universal-radio.com/catalog/hamhf/3991_60m.html

Good Luck

3. N9ATV

N9ATV Ham Member QRZ Page

I have a couple of friends that recently ran into this issue with the FT991A model. The answer was to do the MARS mod on the radio. They are up and running on 60M now with FT8. A fair warning though, if you do the mod it will void the warranty unless you get Yaesu to perform the modification. Good luck with the issue.

4. K7NWF

Yes, I know about the MARS mod, not sure if I want to dig into the radio to make this mod. Thanks for your input!

Norm

5. K4FPV

K4FPV Ham Member QRZ Page

Norm, you can use normal USB mode. Just change your bandwidth to 3200 and then change menu option 106 to REAR.

--Greg
    K4FPV

KR4YON likes this.
  6. K8KDS

K8KDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

hi Norm, I updated firmware and it killed the 60m channels too on the ft-991a... did you ever figure out how to either fix or work around this?

thanks
    K8KDS
    Ken

7. K7NWF

Hi Ken. Yes, went on You Tube and watched a
    video on how to do the MARS mod. It was pretty simple, just had to flow some solder across to close pads on pc board. Was easier than I thought. Have been working 60 meters now for about a year, no problems... Good Luck..

Norm
    K7NWF

8. PY2RAF

PY2RAF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Norm

In order to avoid the hack,
    1. Set the menu clause 106 SSB Mic Select to REAR
    2. Set the menu clause 109 SSB Port Select to USB
    3. Use the Channel 3, normally.

Revert items 1 and 2 to default after doing FT8.

- RF.

9. K7NWF

No problem on my end, mod already done, works great, but maybe your idea will work for Ken who sent me the question. Thanks for your comment.

Norm
    K7NWF

PY2RAF likes this.
  10. K8KDS

K8KDS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll check it out. Thanks Norm

73s

ken
    K8KDS