ad: vanity

FT5ZM Amsterdam Island!! Jan. 2014 DXpedition!

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by W4PG, Jan 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
  1. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

'NKR...
    go to http://amsterdamdx.org
    Click on: "THE DXPEDITION"... then;
    click on: (blue box) "PROPAGATION"...then;
    click on: the K6TU PROPAGATION IMAGE" & fill in the blanks.
    Kinda neat (& FREE) and it's worked for me.:)

'BIB Steve

2. VK3KTT

VK3KTT XML Subscriber QRZ Page

worked them on 20m 5 watts qrp last night they were 5/9 +20 here. i might go for qrp dxcc one day :)

3. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

They popped up on 75 tonite and for once, did "NA", and peaked around 0000 UTC and did get them snagged...would be nice for 160 meters but that isn't going to happen likely...at 0000 UTC that is a good time for here, unfortunately, previous days they seemed to QSY prior to peaking here...they were a good 579 on the receive antenna....nice to have a simple receive antenna...with the noise as it is, it really makes for a good copy!

4. W4PG

W4PG Super Moderator Lifetime Member 279 Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Managed to get them on 80 CW tonight. It's been weird propagation as I've yet to hear them on 10/12 or 15, though I've seen them spotted and others obviously working them. But I do have them on 80, 40, 20 and 17. It's a start!

5. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

See them spotted on 30M RTTY right now. But don't see any West Coast spots. East and Midwest. Anyone hear them in the West?

6. NZ5F

NZ5F Ham Member QRZ Page

I finally worked them on CW on 20m. I am done chasing them. Wish I would have worked them on 80m but been working too much and the one time I tried I screwed it up. This time I did it for sure. They are loud into San Diego short path tonight and it wasn't at all busy. So stoked. Also it is time to celebrate. I sold my FT920 tonight and got the Paypal. I will be getting my K3 serial 1391 back this week. Happy night. Long work week ahead.

7. W5BIB

W5BIB Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Keith,...
    I'm like you,... I finally managed to nab them on 20cw with my IC-735 & OCF inverted 'L'.
    Enough for me. !!! One band is fine. I Hope you enjoy your K3,... as much as I enjoy my K1-4 (thanks to DAVE WN6U)... best rig ever !!!
    BTW:... Last night & tonight,... managed to QSO 'RI1ANC' & 'RI1ANT' on 20m cw between 0300 & 0500z on 20m !!!
    dit dit
    Steve

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  8. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I started out just hoping to work them once - any mode on any band... Then I got lucky only a couple of days in and decided to try for a few more. Now I'm done. They must be winding down and I feel grateful having worked them (and and in their log) four different times. The sweetest was last night though when I got them on 40 CW ... very narrow prop/time slots and lots of QRM (even jamming????!!!) and QSB but they pulled me out.

Ground mounted vertical with 32 radial field (and DIY shunt coil for matching) worked rather well for only 100 watts.

http://www.qrz.com/db/WB9LUR

Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
  9. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I've worked them on 3 bands, two modes (just 3 Q's). I'm happy with what I've worked. Its always nice to have a new one in the log.

10. N0NCO

N0NCO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, I would have been happy with one SSB contact, given the size of the pileups & the large number of QRO stations with lots of aluminum in the air. But after making contact on 10m, I made a point of checking the other bands & found that I could hear them fairly well on all of the bands from 40m & up. So I decided to join the fray & see how many bands we could work. To my surprise, I made it on four of the six SSB freqs - using my remotely-tuned, base-fed inverted L w/60 x 65' ground-mounted radials. I would have liked to catch them on 40m SSB, but I've yet to be on the air when they're running SSB on 40. I've done a fair amount of casual DXing over the years, but this is the first time I've ever attempted to work a rare one on multiple bands through pileups that thick. I figured that I'd be lucky to work them once with my modest station, so I'm very happy. The ops down there must have good ears! Although I don't particularly enjoy wild pileups, I do have to admit that it felt pretty good to be heard through four big ones on four bands by a station that's over 11,700 miles from my QTH, while running only 100W on SSB into an all-band wire antenna of my own design.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.