FT4TA ON AIR NOW

Discussion in 'The DX Zone' started by VK3KTT, Oct 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: FBNews-1
ad: Left-3
  1. AC6BW

AC6BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Same here. I'm happy for the one QSO. It was a great birthday present, too :)

2. N2SR

N2SR Ham Member QRZ Page

If your call is "close enough," they might go back to the op and ask him. "Do you think you logged this call instead of that call?" Two of my CW Q's, I had to send "NO N2SR N2SR 5NN" and the op resent my call correctly.

3. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok... and? I fail to see your point...:confused:

4. VA2GK

VA2GK Ham Member QRZ Page

I hear you! I took the friday off for this so having that sole contact in the log was worth the trouble :cool:

5. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

I have done that in the past for a first new one and it was hard work. Pile ups were thick, not as much nonsense then as these days (for whatever reason, fill in the blank yourselves), late nites, waiting and waiting for a DX station to get around to my call area only to skip it and start all over with Number 1......mind blowing....

Yes, it is worth the "trouble" to get that one QSO in the log, and one step closer to DXCC......PERIOD.

My station has always been modest, simple Yagi, less than 1KW. Mainly, just luck...period.....

Like the other day, I really wanted to work the FT4 on 75 but every time they were on, they were working the East Coast and a whisper here. About the time the prop started to pick up, they went "QRX", which really meant, they disappeared to another band for EU.

So, on one day, I was sitting on their transmit frequency listening for them and someone came on with a very good signal, CQing and it was THEM! I had no amp on, power on the radio was still set for the drive level for the amp, simple 75 meter sloper and wham bam, called them with like 40-50 watts, and came right back up 2-3 khz. It was pure luck. 5 minutes later, you couldn't hear anything in his listening range, packed with high power signals, wall to wall....purely luck.

Some times you get lucky and sometimes you work for hours.

Reminds me during my Novice days, I had an Old HT-40 with a 40 meter crystal, a long wire and about 30 watts. I called CW on then 15 meter Novice band...band was dead...and out of the hiss of my Allied receiver, came back JH1WIX. My first ever real DX. The bug bit and from then on, history. Who would know this wonderful op Taroh, scanned the Novice bands....Luck.

6. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

That is absolutely true! I worked for my one FT4TA QSO.. took 4-5 days to finally get through. However on the flip side, XZ1J Myanmar in 2013.. literally sent my call twice on 15m and I was in the log. That was the one and only time I heard them. Purely dumb luck... I hit the DX lottery that morning.

7. AC6BW

AC6BW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That is so neat how you were the first in line to work the FT4 on 80m. That hasn't happened to me in a while, if at all, that I can remember.
    For my 40m LP FT4TA QSO, I had to wait about 1/2 hour for the propagation to build.

8. WB9LUR

WB9LUR XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Update

I did email the log keeper for FT4TA - he checked the logs - and informed me that a station (legitimate call sign) with a very similar call to mine worked him at the exact date / time / band / mode as I thought I had. He did suggest that I contact this ham to verify (he was kind enough to give me his call sign.) I sent an email asking him if he had worked FT4TA on that date/time/band/mode. Yes, he did. So, I am officially 100% out of this one ... that's the way it goes. That's DX!

Turns out he's a nice guy and we have actually emailed back and forth a few times about Navassa and FT4TA.

Randy
    WB9LUR

9. W7ARX

W7ARX Guest

That won't happen again in my lifetime unless the planets align......

10. WA6MHZ

WA6MHZ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was most happy to see the Manager for 5R8M get my call corrected in the log. They logged me as WA6M (lost the HZ somewhere) Probably thought it was gibberish printing. Sure enough WA6M turned up in the online log. They corrected it to WA6MHZ after I supplied the correct data, So now that QSL is coming.
    Actually I don't need it now, I just qualified for RTTY DXCC with a contact with OH7MN in the WAE contest that came though on LOTW! So any more are now just good for endorsements. NOT likely I am going to make HONOR ROLL on RTTY!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.